JOB SUMMARY –
The Infrastructure Engineer participates in the development of an Enterprise approach to system specification, engineering, operational, administrative, capacity management, maintenance and support services for the H&R Block information technology infrastructure.
The Infrastructure Engineer scope of control typically includes one or more of the following:
- Cisco UCS – Design & Implementation
- VMWare ESX – Design & Implementation
- Cloud Design and Implementation – Azure, AWS, VMC
- Capacity Planning and Forecasting
- Monitoring Tools – UCS, VMWare
- Automation tools and scripting
This position provides technical research and recommendations as needed to supplement the Senior, Lead and Principal Engineer, provides support in the areas of technical support escalation, operational logistics, incident and problem resolution services resulting in deployments with optimal Mean Time to Restore (MTTR) and Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) characteristics.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES –
- Proactively engage as the Tier 3 escalation point to resolve system, software or hardware deficiencies in existing systems. This may include performing technical research, developing a corrective plan of action or collaborating with vendors for analysis.
- Provides effective and timely resolution to hardware, operating system software or network problems utilizing industry best practices and H&R Block corporate standards.
- Provides timely and consistent communication on overall systems status and operational issues as required by support and customer groups.
- Performs deployments of new IT Infrastructure utilizing H&R Block configuration standards and processes.
- Performs routine system capacity monitoring, planning and implementation.
- Proactively maintains IT Infrastructure security and integrity through routine maintenance, upgrades and patching.
- Implements, maintains and monitors system and network monitoring tools.
- Provides recommendations for improvement of existing services, or new services to the Senior and Lead Infrastructure Engineers.
- Applies approved standards, procedures and industry best practices to ensure performance, confidentiality, security, integrity and availability of applicable systems or solutions.
- Documents new and existing processes, common tasks or infrastructure configurations and creates or maintains applicable diagrams.
- Follows prescribed change management and governance processes for the hosting infrastructure and corporate IT infrastructure.
- Participates on cross functional project teams to build, deploy, and maintain IT infrastructure components to meet client business needs and internal IT objectives.
Vocational or Bachelors’ Degree in Computer Science or equivalent through a combination of education and work experience.
- Self-management skills including organization, time management and prioritization
- Practical experience with process documentation tools and methods
- Knowledge of quality assurance techniques and protocols
- Prior experience with technology implementation and management methodologies
- Three years’ experience in a position requiring IT technical problem-solving skills.
- Functional understanding of various infrastructure components of an IT infrastructure including but not limited to server systems, storage technology, network technology, information security.
- Analytical ability including network and network systems design, capacity monitoring, and error detection and resolution techniques.
- Ability to prioritize rapidly shifting priorities and workloads.
- Functional oral, written, interpersonal communication and customer service skills.
- IT process application skills
- Customer interface skills including problem solving, conflict resolution and team building.
- Infrastructure fundamentals related to Storage, Network, Compute, Telecommunications, Information Security or Application availability
- Weekend and On-call availability
- Technical experience with the following IT Infrastructure Domains is an extreme plus:
- ESX and various VMWare technologies and solutions
- Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016 Server
- Cisco UCS and other hardware vendors
- Active Directory and other means of authentication
- Cloud design and management – Azure, AWS, VMC
- Linux RHEL OS