Manage the Oasis at Death Valley kitchen, which includes food production and preparation for the Inn Dining Room, Inn Room Service and banquet food. The Inn Chef will be responsible for managing the back-of-house culinary staff, maintaining teamwork, sanitation standards and practices, safety and clean facility, and responsible for training and motivating all kitchen personnel. Position reports directly to the property Resort Chef.
- Supervise all food preparation while maintaining a high standard in food quality.
- Maintaining food cost and labor cost under the guidelines of the Food & Beverage Department.
- Supervise, train, and motivate all kitchen staff. To schedule, assign duties and monitor as needed.
- Maintain a high degree of sanitation and hygiene in all kitchen areas.
- Supervise proper labeling and storage of food and supplies and inspect equipment and facilities to ensure proper use, maintenance and sanitation.
- Provide leadership to employees and resolve operational and employee issues in a professional manner.
- Assist in developing menus for Inn Dining Room.
- Exhibit strong customer service skills with F&B front of the house and guests.
- Provide and maintain a good variety of tasty, attractive meals, by showing sound culinary judgment in regards to: food quality, food presentation, product availability, par levels and the utilization of food in process.
- Implement and maintain reference guidelines for all kitchen operations, i.e., kitchen manual, photo album for plate presentation, recipe books, and cleaning schedules.
- Responsible for ensuring that all employees are aware of the Ecometrix Policy, Xanterra’s company-wide Environmental Management System (EMS) and their roles and responsibilities in achieving conformance to the policy
- Five years experience in various culinary areas to include food production, food preparation, knowledge of baking, labor and food cost controls, and food presentation. Culinary training and degree is preferred.
- General computer skills and working knowledge of various software programs to include payroll software and Foodtrak.
- Leadership skills with ability to prioritize projects and be able to work varied hours and shifts in multi-unit fast-paced environment.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in hotel / resort environment preferred.
- Certified in ServSafe practices.