PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
International Counsel is responsible for providing legal support to the
International Team and be liason/advisor for legal issues with other Shared Services supporting
the International Team.
- Responsible for providing accurate and timely legal advice and guidance based on company standards for Inspire Brands, Inc. and its subsidiaries for their international business activities and future international growth, including corporate and franchising ventures.
- Work with and negotiate contracts according to company standards with prospective and existing Inspire Brands International Franchisees, hired consultants, and approved vendors.
- Work with various Shared Services (accounting, tax, and treasury) to provide legal advice to ensure that legal standards and a legal perspective is given for day to day needs in our dealings and in our agreements with our Franchisees and outside Partners and Vendors.
- To minimize and determine risk, establish and maintain corporate governance standards and processes for our international business activities, which may include policies and procedures.
- Analyze and draft area development agreements, franchise agreements, default and termination notices and agreements, amendments, assignments and other legal documents and related correspondence.
- Facilitate the application and document drafting process by performing preliminary reviews and coordinating information for franchise agreements.
- Monitor country compliance regulations and facilitate the renewal of FDD documents in relevant countries.
- Establish and maintain corporate governance standards and processes for our international business activities, which may include policies and procedures.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Initiate and develop relationships with internal stakeholders
- Educate international team on legal risks and emerging legal trends
- Effectively manage multiple high priority requests simultaneously and in a fast-paced
- Direct work to outside counsel, internal resources, and address billing issues as needed to adhere to the legal budget
- Take steps necessary to remain up to date on pertinent legal issues and legal
- Subject matter expert in franchise law, and, generally, contract law
- Understanding of U.S. and international business entity formation and maintenance.
- Basic understanding of Intellectual Property
- Leadership ability in contract negotiation and drafting
Freedom to Act:
- Oversee internal and external legal services for international business unit
- Develop legal and business processes to achieve business goals and minimize legal risk
- Make autonomous legal decisions on matters affecting the international business unit
- Report to Associate General Counsel weekly on ongoing enterprise-wide matters
- Create legal and business solutions to problems inherent in international franchising, operations, development, and marketing efforts
- Understand complex and overlapping areas of law to maximize efficiency
- Provide legal advice on a large variety of legal issues that could affect the international business, including franchise law, marketing initiatives, procurement, tax and entity matters
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Primary legal liaison for multiple business departments and stakeholders of various company initiatives
- Communicate directly with internal and external clients on a daily basis
- Develop relationships with internal clients and outside counsel
EDUCATION/ EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS:
* Licensed and practicing attorney in good standing
* J.D. from an accredited law school
* Experience in a law firm and/or corporation, including significant experience working on technology matters
* Experience analyzing, interpreting, and communicating legal strategies and requirements for/to non-lawyer colleagues
* Knowledge/skill in structuring, drafting, and negotiating a broad range of agreements
* Experience working with or for a franchisor or franchisee
* Restaurant or hospitality industry experience
* Some knowledge of international laws applicable to banking, franchise, intellectual property, and supply chain.