Ready to raise your game by a quantum leap? At Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, we're focused on doing things that have not been done yet; helping improve lives in ways that were unthinkable until we thought of them. We've spent decades investing in the technology and information capabilities that help us bring new ideas to market faster. We've developed solutions that are practical today and scalable for tomorrow. And we've created collaborative teams dedicated to innovation across each of our businesses. Now, we invite you to bring your knowledge of enterprise architecture and standards to assist in the development, communication and implementation of our evolving technology architecture.
The complexity of this role can be challenging. You'll be working on strategic programs with responsibility for providing architectural leadership to key initiatives across the organization. You'll be expected to ensure that the programs align to the IT strategy, leverage enterprise components and capabilities, advance the state of our IT assets, and expand and improve on our enterprise engineering strategy.
In this Solutions Architect role within the Product Engineering team, you will be responsible for architectural direction for new technology solutions as well as for modernizing our existing applications to support our rapidly growing Payment Integrity business. Our business growth has necessitated use of Big Data, Cloud, Micro services and DevOps technologies to streamline our application portfolio. Payment Integrity business identifies and recovers inappropriate health insurance claim payments helping drive down the healthcare costs.
- Develops or contributes meaningfully to shared components across products
- Designs solutions to meet business needs, crafting necessary team architectural patterns and selecting tooling
- Creates design documents and defends architectural decisions with other lead engineers to gain alignment
- Delivers with limited guidance
- Actively mentors team members through 1:1, code reviews, brown bags, tech talks, design reviews
- Owns external integration layer with outside teams
- Mentors Junior and mid-level engineers on code style and code management best practices
- Very active in team code reviews, providing actionable feedback and taking ownership of outcome
- Solves difficult or complex business and technical problems in code
- Code achieves scalability and performance goals to meet or exceed the business need. Solutions are extensible, reusable and portable
- Code Management strategies are defined and enforced by this individual
- Adds performance and resiliency testing to standard functional use cases
- Re-examines existing processes, and deprecates or emphasizes where appropriate
- Drives operational excellence improving stability and resiliency metrics
- Understands security threats and patterns at both application and infra layers. Actively develops threat prevention mechanisms and drives security best practice adherence in code reviews
- Builds empathetic relationship with system users and exercises sound judgement when making tradeoffs between technical architecture and business priorities
- Holds team and self-responsible for maintaining the highest possible performance standards. Drives tasks to resolution
- Active participant in engineering interviews with a calibrated bar for talent assessment
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of experience in IT Solution and/or Enterprise architecture role
- 8+ years of full-lifecycle hands-on multi-tier application development experience
- Deep understanding of industry patterns for application architecture and integration
- Experience with one or more of the following technologies - Big Data, Cloud, Micro-services, Streaming
- Agile development experience
- 1+ years of production Cloud experience
- Experience with DevOps (CI/CD tools)
- Team leadership or team management experience
- Experience prototyping and performance tuning applications developed on multiple operating systems, frameworks and computing platforms
- Health care industry experience
Optum is a diversified health services and innovation company where data, technology, people and action combine to make great things happen every day. Join us. Learn more about how you can start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Information Technology, Architecture, data, solution architecture, enterprise architecture, health care industry, IT, agile methodology, build multi-tier applications, leadership, performance tuning applications, technology, Franklin, TN, Tennessee