PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: To assist in performing the Technical Lease Accounting function including: month-end close, balance sheet reconciliations, GAAP research, analysis and compliance, performing in-depth variance analysis, assisting with process improvement initiatives, managing and facilitating special projects as they arise, and assisting with the year-end audit.
1. Ensure the proper accounting and recording of lease activity (including real estate leases, equipment leases, lease modifications/renewals, subleases, and acquired leases, etc.) is performed in accordance with GAAP. This may include reviewing contracts (including performing in-depth analysis of legal documents (new leases, amendments, financing agreements, purchase agreements, etc.), researching technical literature, estimating property values, and developing and documenting proposals for accounting treatment in accordance with GAAP. Communicate lease testing results to Property Accounting and Fixed Assets to help ensure proper accounting after classification testing. Must have a good understanding and interpretation of various legal and GAAP concepts and be able to apply the concepts to these transactions for proper recording.
2. Document lease classification procedures for newly acquired units. Must have a good understanding of the new lease accounting standard. Participate on the team to implement new accounting policies and procedures due to the new lease accounting standard.
3. Assist with the month-end and quarter-end closing of the general ledger, prepare month-end journal entries, and evaluate account balances and perform reconciliations and analysis of corporate balance sheet account, (e.g. Closed Store Reserve, Lease Guarantees, Sublease Deposits, etc.). Provide information to external auditors for the year-end audit.
4. Adhere to prescribed controls in performance of assigned processes to maintain accuracy and reliability of financial information.
5. Assist in preparation of footnote disclosures for Company's financial statements.
6. Perform ad-hoc projects and analysis to help support certain decisions and issues and to assist in other groups' goals and tasks.
EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor's degree in Accounting and Certified Public Accountant preferred EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATION:
* 2 - 3 years accounting experience
* 2 years Big 4 Accounting experience preferred
* Prior experience with GL accounting systems preferred
* Must be comfortable using Excel (pivot tables, V/H-look ups, Net Present Values), and other similar functions. REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS or ABILITIES:
* Must be able to understand multiple GAAP concepts, research GAAP issues using various research tools, and apply research to real life scenarios. Demonstrated ability to interpret and apply accounting literature and legal concepts to complex lease accounting transactions.
* Team player who is detail oriented, with ability to plan work effectively, meet the deadlines assigned, and make sound decisions with little direction.
* Ability to multi-task and shift priorities.
* Strong communication and analytical skills to draft memos.
* Must be able to work in spreadsheet, word processing, and have some database applications knowledge in a Windows PC environment.
* Ability to work in fast moving, high pressure environment. PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, OR ABILITIES: Experience with Oracle or other major ERP systems DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY: This position has no decision-making authority. DIRECT REPORTS: This position will have no direct reports.