Inspect, repair and maintain locomotives and company equipment, and other duties as assigned. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Comply with the guidelines set forth by the FRA on Personal Blue Signal Protection of Workers.
- Work with customers to assure a level of customer service consistent with company goals.
- Work with connecting railroads to assure efficient interchange of cars and locomotives.
- Perform routine maintenance, inspection, trouble-shooting and repair equipment and locomotives according to manufacturers specifications.
- Familiar with State and Federal regulations as it relates to the railroad industry.
- Must be able to perform emergency repairs and re-railing of railroad rolling stock.
- Become proficient and knowledgeable on the interchange rules as they pertain to locomotives.
- Possess working knowledge of the proper use of various wear limit gauges and testing equipment.
- Must possess the ability to complete written forms and reports as well as necessary Federal Railroad Administration reports pertaining to locomotive repair responsibilities.
- Must possess the ability to become a qualified locomotive inspector, service engineer according to the FRA regulations.
- Must possess the ability to learn how to repair and maintain locomotive electrical systems.
- Must have the ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Must have a working knowledge of and be familiar with various types of tools and equipment such as, but not limited to, welders, torches, hammers, jacks, and various types of other mechanical, pneumatic, and hand tools pertaining to the construction and maintenance of locomotives, vehicles and equipment.
- High School diploma or equivalent. Must have completed two years of vocational training, or have related experience in mechanical / electrical field
- Must possess basic hand tools, including but not limited to socket sets, hand wrench sets, screwdrivers, etc.
- Must possess valid drivers license.
- Must be willing to travel as required.
- While performing the duties of this job, regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch/crawl and talk or hear. Frequently required to climb or balance. Must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Phillipsburg, Kansas, United States