The Maintenance Clerk is responsible for maintaining a clean working environment for all staff and customers while ensuring all areas are safe. This position will perform heavy cleaning duties and minor maintenance of store fixtures. They are required to assist customers as needed and maintain a friendly, energetic demeanor.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Services, cleans, sanitizes, and supplies restrooms on an hourly basis.
- Maintains waste baskets for entire store.
- Responds to calls for store clean up issues.
- Responsible for maintaining clean floors throughout the store to ensure customer and employee safety measures are met; including scrubbing, sweeping, mopping, polishing, buffing, waxing, and vacuuming.
- Dusts and washes walls, cleans ceilings, and polishes fixtures.
- Maintains outside walk areas including sweeping debris and washing walkways.
- Preserves landscape; including watering, cutting, and trimming shrubs and grass.
- Maintains the stores recycling and compost programs as well as remove recycling and compost materials.
- Tracks and orders maintenance supplies.
- Cleans windows, glass partitions, and mirrors, using soapy water or other cleaners, sponges, and squeegees.
- Notifies managers concerning the need for major repairs or additions to building operating systems; places service calls to vendors when appropriate.
- Handles minor maintenance of store fixtures which may entail painting, using tools or plumbing.
- All other duties as assigned.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalency degree.
- Preferred 1 -2 years grocery retail experience in Maintenance department processes and procedures.
- Previous experience in a natural foods industry is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must maintain the highest level of customer service at all times.
- Ability to adapt to the ever changing high volume retail while working in a cross-functional team environment.
- Must have the capacity to take initiative when problems arise.
- Flexibility to adapt in a variety of situations.
- Must have advanced attention to detail with the capability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written communication and documentation skills.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills for dealing cross functionally with peers and senior management.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- The potential for prolonged standing, walking, squatting and/or bending.
- The ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Occasional high stress when dealing with systems/customers/staff.