The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job.
Manages employees in the maintenance of the locomotive fleet. Ensures all GWI safety rules and practices for Mechanical Department employees are followed explicitly. Manages the maintenance and repair of locomotives in order that they meet FRA and GWI standards and in such a manner as to reduce life cycle cost and increase reliability and availability.
- Supervise 1 – 2 employees with responsibility for 20 – 39 engines.
- Maintain a positive safety culture, monitor or provide job briefings as needed, maintain all safety records and provide training as required.
- Comply with all GWI mechanical policies per the appropriate Safety Rules and Safe Job Procedures.
- Manage your direct reports to maintain the highest mechanical standards per GWI policies.
- Schedule and assist in performing all preventive maintenance in your responsibility area.
- Respond to all engine failures based on customer needs.
- Maintain all mechanical reports/records per GWI/FRA standards.
- On an as needed basis, provide mechanical assistance to other locations upon request.
- Oversee material requests and local inventories.
- Develop positive relationships with other departments within the Coastal Region and our customers.
- Manage the mechanical budget for your responsibility area.
- Furnish capital information upon request.
- Manage the mechanical service truck fleet.
- Other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Analysis and Problem Assessment – identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner.
- Interpersonal/Communication Skills – focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; speaks and writes clearly and listens to get clarification.
- Customer Focus – responds promptly to customer needs and solicits customer feedback to improve service.
- Initiative – volunteers readily; asks for and offers help when needed.
- Database and Computer Skills
- Technical Skills – strives to build knowledge and skills.
- Teamwork – balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Attendance and Punctuality – is consistently at work on time.
- Motivation – demonstrates persistance and overcomes obstacles.
Education Required or Equivalent Experience: Associates Degree, Bachelor’s Degree preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Related Experience Required: 5 years’ experience and must be fully conversant with all aspects of the maintenance and repair of locomotives’ mechanical and electrical systems.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Savannah, Georgia, United States