The Manager of Payroll Tax is responsible for providing functional consulting and support as it relates to Payroll taxes. This position acts as an expert in Payroll taxation to ensure compliance and adherence to all federal, state and local tax laws.
The Manager of Payroll Tax will manage the Payroll Tax team and will interact with other Human Capital Centers of Excellence (COE) and Finance COE’s throughout the day-to-day functions of the job, maintaining and promoting key internal and external relationships.
- Perform functional consulting with other HR COE’s, Finance and Business partners for payroll tax regulations and system processes
- Design and implement new or changes to existing payroll business processes and work rules as needed
- Act as a functional expert for Payroll Tax
- Partner with vendors to effectively manage flow of tax data while adhering to regulations; hold vendors responsible for their actions and responsibilities
- Partner with executives, their tax advisors and Executive Compensation to ensure compliance and customer service for payroll tax matters
- Facilitate testing and maintenance of Payroll Tax data and updates, as well as internal enhancement projects
- Support acquisition initiatives related to payroll tax and employee integration, including balance transfers
- Establish and monitor processes to assess the quality of Payroll Tax data; ensure accurate payroll runs each pay period; ensure accurate W-2’s
- Research and identify root causes for problems and own the resolution
- Manage Payroll Tax team, workload and development
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of employees
- Troubleshoot and work with Payroll Systems and I/T departments on all system updates, upgrades and enhancements to tax functionality
- Collaborate with HRIS, Payroll Operations, and other HR COE’s in the support of HR business initiatives
- Maintain effective relationships with key internal and external customers and vendors
- Various hours as needed to support payroll taxes, especially quarter-end and year-end deadlines
- Other projects as assigned
- BA or BS or equivalent experience
- 3+ years functional Payroll experience
- 1+ years of payroll tax experience working with multi-state taxation, including nonresident taxation requirements
- 2+ years of supervisory experience
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects with hard deadlines simultaneously
- Project documentation discipline experience
- Experience with analytics, problem solving and payroll related functional skills
- Knowledge of process re-engineering and change management preferred
- Strong knowledge of legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting payroll tax functions
- Knowledge of internal systematic controls related to Sarbanes-Oxley requirements
- Experience with mergers, acquisitions and divestitures
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Manager, Payroll, Tax, Minnetonka, MN, Minnesota