If you want to achieve more in your mission of health care, you have to be really smart about the business of health care. Challenge yourself, your peers and our industry by shaping what health care looks like and doing your life's best work.(sm)
Advisory Board Research, a division of Optum, is an industry-leading resource for C-suite executives across 4,400+ organizations in health care (health systems, insurers, life sciences and physician group leaders). For more than 35 years, we have helped these executives work smarter and faster by providing clarity on health care's most pressing issues - along with the guidance, tools, and implementation resources they need to take action.
In this role, the Managing Director will work directly with the firm’s SVP, Research Strategy. She or he will set the Research department’s growth strategy into new segment areas and execute against the plan -creating a “5-year roadmap,” aligning Research business units with the vision, and launching new programs and capabilities as defined by the strategy. The Managing Director will manage new Research product launches, develop the strategic vision for enhancing our existing Research services and usability and expand Research into new member segment areas.
Your role in the Product Strategy Group puts you in the driver’s seat as we define the growth strategy for the Research business, consider mergers and acquisitions and grow new businesses from idea to scaled business. This group offers motivated, entrepreneurial staff a unique opportunity to drive the firm’s growth while inflecting systemic change across the healthcare industry. Product Strategy group members interact directly with the CEO and a cross-section of the most senior leaders in Research and in our parent organizations, Optum and UnitedHealth Group.
This opportunity is based in Washington, D.C.
- Develop and refine our overall Research growth strategy
- Identify, scope and size new business opportunities in segments across health care (provider, payer, employer, life sciences)
- Evaluate and diligence investments and acquisitions
- Analyze competitors and draft positioning collateral
- Conduct rigorous market testing by interviewing key industry executives
- Develop pro-formas and financial models
- Pitch new business types or terrain explorations to senior leaders
- Collaborate with development and product management teams on internal builds
- Support initial hiring, sales, and implementation activities on new ventures
- Manage a large, multidisciplinary and matrixed team (researchers, commercial staff, product staff)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- MBA or other advanced degree
- 5+ years of experience working with clients in a consultative role - comfort engaging senior level people in back-and-forth conversation, ability to be convincing when necessary, and ability to develop strong relationships through each interaction
- Experience with developing growth strategies for organization(s), particularly around new business lines
- Experience with solution focused problem solving and thinking through problems creatively
- Experience working a growth environment, partnering closely with commercial leaders on go-to-market strategy and positioning
- Experience working in a team environment, as well as independently and autonomously
- Experience managing and coaching more junior team members
- Experience conducting root-cause analysis
- Willingness to take risks and act decisively with regard to new opportunities
- Health care experience (ideally with some background in care delivery or health insurance, as a window into how care comes together in the field)
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.