BJ's Wholesale Club was the first retailer to introduce the warehouse club concept in the northeastern United States. Today, we’re a multibillion dollar operation with more than 200 clubs in 16 states from Maine to Florida.
While our Members know us for helping them save up to 25% off grocery prices every day, our Team Members love us for providing a supportive and engaging workplace that’s committed to developing great talent.
If you’re a motivated and enthusiastic person who enjoys working collaboratively and is committed to providing great service for our Members, we want to hear from you. BJ’s offers a fast-paced, team environment with great training opportunities and competitive salary and benefits packages to help you succeed.
Responsible for managing meat department operations, managing meat department team members, ensuring fulfillment of member orders, maintaining proper inventory levels and merchandise displays, complying with food safety and quality standards, and achieving meat department sales, profitability and waste goals.
The manager is responsible to function as the Manager on Duty (MOD) as assigned. While MOD, the manager has responsibility to manage the entire Club, including all Club departments, to ensure excellent Member engagement, to address any and all concerns brought to the MOD’s attention, and to escalate any concerns, as appropriate. The manager could be assigned as MOD 50% or more of the manager’s scheduled shifts.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities, and Key Accountabilities
- Provides a high level of customer service to members and ensures fulfillment of member orders. Responds to member calls, answers member questions and recommends meat items.
- Manages meat department operations and team members. Holds department meetings to update team members on club policies and procedures. Creates work schedules and recommends hiring, promotion and separation of team members in the department.
- Responsible for compliance with safety, sanitation, merchandising and food quality policies and regulations.
- Meets or exceeds all budgeted sales and profit goals.
- Receives and inspects meat shipments. Conducts meat inventories and orders meat supplies as needed.
- Maintains a full variety of meat products according to presentation guidelines and utilizes available product movement and variety reporting and checklists.
- Ensures all products are fresh and meet company quality standards. Maintains the proper rotation of meat products. Checks for out-of-date products daily and follows appropriate product salvage policies and procedures.
- Trains team members on standards of cutting, processing, weighing, wrapping, receiving and rotating meat products.
- Maintains all club policies and procedures.
- Knowledge as a Qualified journeymen meat cutter preferred
- Formal food service vocational education preferred
- High school diploma, college degree, and/or big box wholesale, retail, deli, grocery, meat, and/or management experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including managing/supervising cross-functional teams, training team members, and driving and communicating results.
- Strong interpersonal skills, organizational skills and an attention to detail required.
- Open shift availability required.
- At least 18 years of age.
Environmental Job Conditions
- Working in refrigerated and damp conditions (30-40 degrees)
- Frequently requires lifting objects up to 30 pounds. Regular lifting of containers up to 80 lbs. with assistance.
- Ability to operate safely power equipment and sharp knives.
- Frequent exposure to cleaning agents.
- Long periods of standing with frequent reaching and bending.
BJ's Wholesale Club is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all qualified team members and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, physical and/or mental disability, genetic information, atypical cellular or blood trait, marital and/or familial status, pregnancy, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.