The Mechanical Technician is a full-time, year-round position located in the Old Faithful area of Yellowstone National Park. This is a unique opportunity for a skilled HVAC Technician with the benefit of a modern, one-bedroom, company-provided apartment. To learn more about living, working, and exploring Yellowstone, check out our website.Responsibilities
A Day in the Life of a Mechanical Technician
- Provides the technical skills and experience required to operate, maintain, troubleshoot and repair HVAC and direct digital control systems in all Old Faithful facilities.
- Accountable for proper and accurate documentation of labor & materials for work performed in accordance with established company procedures.
- Provides assistance and oversight for the cyclic opening/closing of all facilities and the Spring / Fall startup/shut down of all mechanical systems.
- Assists in the review of HVAC system designs proposed by project engineers.
- Responsible for the development, performance of and continuous improvement of preventive maintenance procedures for HVAC equipment and systems.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
- Responsible for compliance with Xanterra’s Softer Footprint (sustainability) program.
- Health, Life and other insurance benefits
- Vacation, Holiday and Sick Leave
- Company lodging, retail, and dining discounts
What You Are Looking For
Are you interested in working and living in Yellowstone National Park? Are you drawn to the unique challenges of working in a remote location? Do you have a positive attitude and solid work ethic?
If you answered, “Yes” to these questions, this position is great for you!
The only access to and from the Old Faithful location during the winter season is by snow coach or snowmobile.Qualifications
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Must possess the knowledge and mechanical aptitude required to operate, maintain, troubleshoot and repair a variety of HVAC systems.
- Must possess a working knowledge of HVAC system direct digital controls.
- Must have knowledge of and experience using the tools and materials specific to the HVAC trade.
- Must be able to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing.
- Must be a self-starter, able to troubleshoot problems, ask the right questions and have the confidence to make hard decisions based on the best information available.
- Must possess the hand tools necessary to perform job responsibilities.
- Must be knowledgeable of and have experience conforming to OSHA safety requirements.
- Must possess average personal computer skills and the ability to quickly become proficient in Company and Department- specific software tools.
- Must be self-motived and able to reliably work independently.
- This position may require the use of respiratory protection and will require compliance with applicable regulations.
- Must be able to walk over uneven terrain and climb stairs and ladders in all types of weather conditions.
- Must be capable of lifting objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must possess physical stamina and condition to perform labor of moderate intensity, sometimes in an outside environment at high altitude (6,800 feet above sea level).
- Standing, bending, kneeling, crawling, for extended periods of time are required.
- Must be willing and able to reside, year-round in a remote hospitality location with limited wintertime accessibility.
- Must be at least 21 years old and possess a current, valid, driver’s license with a good driving record for the past 3 years.
- Prevent, stop and report the occurrence of unsafe work practices and situations
Live. Work. Explore. Yellowstone National Park Is Naturally Different
At Yellowstone National Park Lodges, we are a welcoming community who work hard, share a passion for the environment, and enjoy creating memorable experiences for our guests. We are the primary concessionaire in Yellowstone National Park. As part of the Xanterra Travel Collection family, we embrace a “naturally different” lifestyle that allows you to live, work, and explore one of the most beautiful places on earth. We are a company based on values that reflect an environmental ethic and social conscience – for the long-term. “Our Softer Footprint” focuses on how we reduce our environmental impact through our comprehensive environmental initiatives. Our business practices exemplify environmental stewardship, and a desire to protect and preserve our public lands.