The Birth Certificate Technician completes electronic birth certificates, paternity acknowledgment and fetal death reports after interviewing parent(s) and reviewing medical records. Maintains secondary birth certificate data. Enters newborn name in Electronic Medical Record (EMR). He/She assists in the evaluation of methods and participates in problem solving. He/She provides assistance to customers and hospital personnel. He/She must posses a good sense of judgment and display responsibility with minimal supervision.
Must organize work and set priorities; work as a team member with peers and other associates; communicate effectively with customers from all levels; withstand stress of a fast-paced environment; handle confidential material; easily adjust to changes in policies, procedures, schedule and fluctuation in workload; understand procedures of all computer applications used in Health Information Department; endure excessive walking , moderate sitting, standing, lifting, have finger dexterity and complete use of hands, arms, and feet. Must have good vision and good hearing acuity. Must work weekends and holidays as assigned. Performs other duties as assigned by Manager/Director.
* High school graduate or equivalent.
* Completion of medical terminology course.
* Must be eligible to obtain and retain South Carolina Notary Status
* Computer experience
* One year experience in medical record department at an acute care hospital or RHIA/RHIT
* Completion of medical terminology course and/or medical office work history
* List required licensure, registration, and/or certifications