The Medicare Consultant is responsible for providing expertise in the area of quality and risk adjustment coding for assigned provider groups. A Medicare Consultant will interface with operational and clinical leadership to assist in identification of operational and clinical best practices in maximizing recapture rates, understanding clinical suspects and monitoring of appropriate clinical documentation and quality coding. He / she will also coordinate implementation of programs designed to ensure all diagnoses are coded according to CMS and risk adjustment coding guidelines and conditions are properly supported by appropriate documentation in the patient chart. The Medicare Consultant will also ensure the providers understand the STARS CPTII coding requirements. This position will function in a matrix organization taking direction about job function from UHC and M&R but reporting directly to Optum Insight.
If you are located in the Boston, MA, area you will have the flexibility to telecommute* as you take on some tough challenges in this largely field-based role.
- Assists providers in understanding the CMS-HC Risk Adjustment program as it relates to payment methodology and the importance of proper chart documentation of procedures and diagnosis coding
- Monitors Stars quality performance data for providers and promotes improved healthcare outcomes
- Utilizes analytics and identifies and target providers for Medicare Risk Adjustment training and documentation/coding resources
- Assist providers in understanding the Medical Condition Assessment Incentive Program and Medicare Stars quality and CMS - HCC Risk Adjustment driven payment methodology and the importance of proper chart documentation of procedures and diagnosis coding
- Supports the providers by ensuring documentation supports the submission of relevant ICD -10 codes and CPTII procedural information in accordance with national coding guidelines and appropriate reimbursement requirements
- Routinely consults with medical providers to clarify missing or inadequate record information and to determine appropriate diagnostic and procedure codes
- Ensures member encounter data (services and disease conditions) is being accurately documented and relevant procedural codes and all relevant diagnosis codes are captured.
- Provides thorough, timely and accurate consultation on ICD-10 and/or CPT 2 codes by providers or practice clinical consultants
- Refers inconsistent or incomplete patient treatment information/documentation to coding quality analyst, provider, supervisor or individual department for clarification/additional information for accurate code assignment
- Provides ICD10 - HCC coding training to providers and appropriate staff.
- Develops and presents coding presentations and training to large and small groups of clinicians, practice managers and certified coders developing training to fit specific provider's needs
- Develops and delivers diagnosis coding tools to providers
- Trains physicians and other staff regarding documentation, billing and coding and provides feedback to physicians regarding documentation practices
- Educates providers and staff on coding regulations and changes as it relates to Quality and Risk Adjustment to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations
- Performs analysis and provides formal feedback to providers on a regularly scheduled basis
- Provides measurable, actionable solutions to providers that will result in improved accuracy for documentation and coding practices
- Reviews selected medical documentation to determine if assigned diagnosis, procedures codes and ICD-10 codes are appropriately assigned
- Assesses adequacy of documentation and queries providers to obtain additional medical record documentation or to clarify documentation to ensure accurate and appropriate coding
- Collaborates with doctors, coders, facility staff and a variety of internal and external personnel on a wide scope of Risk Adjustment and Quality education efforts
- 3+ years of clinic or hospital experience and / or managed care experience
- Certified Risk Adjustment Coder AND/OR Certified Professional Coder with the American Academy of Professional Coders with the requirement to obtain both certifications, CRC and CPC, within first year in position - (CRC within 6 months of hire and CPC within 1 year of hire)
- Knowledge of ICD10
- Intermediate level of proficiency in MS Office (Excel (Pivot tables, excel functions), PowerPoint and Word)
- Must be able to work effectively with common office software, coding software, EMR and abstracting systems
- Ability to travel regionally up to 75% (primarily day trips depending on region)
- 1+ years of experience in Risk Adjustment and HEDIS/Stars
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in Healthcare or relevant field)
- Demonstrate a level of knowledge and understanding of ICD and CPT coding principles as recommended by the American Health Information Management Association coding competencies, and as normally demonstrated by certification by the American Academy of Professional Coders
- Knowledge of EMR for recording patient visits
- Previous experience in management position in a physician practice
- 1+ year of experience coding in health care facility
- Knowledge of billing/claims submission and other related actions
Building diverse, high quality provider networks is creating greater access to health care and improving the lives of millions. Join us. Learn more about how you can start doing your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: ICD-9, ICD-10, CPC, Coder, Trainer, Healthcare, Managed Care, Provider, Medicare, Medicare Risk Adjustment. LPN, RN, Atlanta, Georgia, GA