The NOC operator is an entry level position. Under direct supervisor of the NOC Shift Lead, the NOC Specialist will monitor systems management tools, analyze alerts, and decide if the alert warrants immediate escalation or not (evaluate impact and urgency) and escalate in a timely fashion. The NOC Specialist will perform initial categorization and triage of system and network events and take corrective action or escalation for resolution. The NOC Specialist will perform data center operations activities as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide timely and consistent communication on overall systems status and operational issues as required by support and customer groups.
- Assure quality workmanship is performed by utilizing industry best practices and following H&R Block corporate standards and guidelines. Ensures accuracy and integrity of data, systems and facilities by maintaining adherence to policy and procedures.
- Perform and/or assist in swift fault isolation and rigorous problem resolution management by following prescribed troubleshooting practices.
- Support the execution of and reporting on backup and recovery services.
- Provide efficient and effective project assistance to the internal and external H&R Block user community.
- Provide input to security, contingency and system documentation of systems including diagrams, schema logical and physical layouts.
- Monitors systems performance and assists with network management in a heterogeneous computing environment, including CPU's from a variety of hardware manufacturers with multiple Operating Systems.
- Executes against prescribed Data Center Operations Team production workflows, procedures and processes.
- Investigates and ensures resolution of production processing problems for batch and on-line services, including applications.
- Assists in software package installs/upgrades and testing of software packages. Adheres to maintenance policies for third-party software media and ensures the media is stored according to procedures.
- Participates/assists in Disaster Recovery activities as required.
- Maintains and documents various master code file changes, appropriate logs and records ensuring accuracy and integrity.
- (AS400Requirement) Provides end user support for normal and special processing needs. Monitors various transmissions from field locations and other business partners. Supports field by troubleshooting line, modem and system problems as needed.
- (AS400Requirement) Provides end user support for normal and special processing needs. Monitors various transmissions from field locations and other business partners. Supports field by troubleshooting line, modem and system problems as needed. (AS400 Requirement) Ensures timeliness and accuracy of reports. Reviews/recommends enhancements and/or changes as needed. Monitors/maintains appropriate print queue management, both centralized and remote. Identifies and corrects problems.
- Monitors the infrastructure, network and systems and responds appropriately to alerts and events
- Responds to incidents from triage through resolution, including escalations, where appropriate
- Responds to infrastructure repairs, including directing remote activities to maintain operational effectiveness for services
- Provides root cause analysis documentation, as required
- Provides data center operations support, as required
- Documents daily shift activities and ensures proper pass down of outstanding issues
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- High school Diploma or, General Equivalency Diploma (GED) required. Four (4) year university degree in technology related discipline preferred.
- Two to four (2-4) years of related experience required (systems administration, network administration, service desk, etc.)
- CompTIA Network+, MTA, MCSA, MCTS, CCNA certification desired
- Ability to work irregular shift times/weekends to support business needs.
- Good self-management skills including, organization, time management and prioritization
- Practical experience with process documentation tools and methods
- Ability to follow quality assurance techniques and protocols.
- Analytical ability, including, capacity planning, operations methodology, and error detection and resolution techniques.
- Good oral, written and interpersonal communication skills as well as customer service skills.
- Customer interface skills including problem solving, conflict resolution and team building.