Job Title(s) of Employees that Directly Report to this Position: May provide work guidance or have full supervisory responsibility for day-to-day operations of location positions that may include any of the following:
Job Purpose: Assists the General Manager and/or Asst General Manager in supervising daily operations. Monitors employee performance, identifies safety issues, and addresses operational needs. Specific job responsibilities will vary by location.
- Assumes first-line supervision of location employees. Ensures company policies and procedures are followed.
- Assists the General Manager in day-to-day operational oversight of location operations including, payroll, routing/scheduling, recruitment and hiring of location employees.
- Ensures drivers have the daily documentation necessary to complete their routes. Ensures completed charter documentation for processing. Coordinates field trips by the assignment of personnel and vehicles.
- Coordinates the dispatching, in-service monitoring, and turn-in activities involved in daily transit operations. Acts as back up member of Dispatch team.
- Develops manpower requirements for Dispatchers, Operators, and assists with evaluating trip patterns for run structure revisions.
- Develops procedure manuals for Dispatchers and Drivers. Holds routine meetings with Dispatch and Scheduling staff to respond to service issues and keep staff abreast of customer or company changes and requirements.
- Completes necessary daily and/or weekly reports for company and customer (stand by report, Manpower Report).
- Tracks and maintains employee attendance and leave system, processes driver and operations staff vacation requests, job abandonment, and terminations.
- Monitors and evaluates Operations activities. Includes: vehicle on-time statistics, missed runs, total work hours, Liquidated Damages, daily driver and dispatch schedules, and other operations related functions.
- Recommends and disciplines operations personnel. Participates in grievance related investigations and responses. Interviews necessary drivers and staff and completes customer complaint investigations.
- Informs Contract Manager of potential risks in the operation.
- Performs all other duties as assigned and may assist with other areas based on location needs.
Describe level of decision making and list examples of common decisions made:
- Implements management policies and makes decisions regarding proper enforcement.
- Resolves customer/parent complaints.
- Recommends actions to General Manager including personnel and discipline.
- Develops procedure documents.
Minimum Education & Certifications Required: High school diploma or equivalent
Experience & Skills Required:
- 3-5 years’ experience in transportation.
- 2-3 years supervisory experience preferred.
- Accounting and detailed reporting experience.
- Computer literate with working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks and manage time effectively.
- Ability to appropriately interact with employees of all levels including drivers, customers, senior management, client representatives, union officials, and general public.
- Work extended hours regularly, including weekends and holidays.
- Demonstrate regular and consistent attendance and punctuality.
- Possess working vehicle to travel within service area as needed.
- Meet customer certification requirements in operations software and able to act as system administrator to assist resolving local user issues.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions (include amount of travel): Incumbent must be able to move about the office and between floors; utilize standard office equipment; access filing system/cabinets; and communicate effectively and efficiently in person or by telephone.
Must be able to drive company or personal vehicle to review driver performance, meet clients, and for other company related purposes.
Must be able to:
- Use full range of hearing, speech, and vision
- Use fingers (manual dexterity) handling paperwork
- Stoop, crouch, squat, or kneel when performing inspections of any type
- Bend at knee, hip, waist when performing duties
- Stand while performing inspections and platform training
- Be subject to wet, cold, or hot environmental conditions
- Write reports in a coherent, legible way
List any additional measures applicable to this position (Revenue, Headcount, # of buses; Budgets $ etc.):
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.