Join us and help us create lifelong readers!
Position: Power Equipment Operator – Part Time Seasonal
Each year Scholastic Book Fairs, in partnership with schools across the country, hosts more than 130,000 book fair events that give more than 35 million students and their families access to thousands of affordable and educational products, helping foster a lifelong love of reading.
We are currently in search of Part Time Seasonal Power Equipment Operators to help our facilities build book fairs for schools. These part time seasonal positions offer a variety of hours to work during the peaks of the school year (Monday-Friday) and are typically off during summer and winter school leave periods. We offer major holidays, offer generous 50% off discount on Scholastic merchandise, and a 401k plan. Join our Company’s mission to encourage reading and promote lifelong learning, and demonstrate our values of caring and respect for all people!
- Operate battery-operated and/or gas-powered equipment, (other than motorized pallet jacks), for the purpose of transporting product to and from inventory storage locations within the facility. Equipment includes, but is not limited to, Forklifts, Stockpickers, Wave Work-Assist vehicles, Sit-Down and Stand-Up Counterbalanced trucks, Reach trucks, etc.
- Must follow all power equipment rules and regulations, including any regulatory agency policies, to include OSHA.
- Must use all personal protective safety equipment, including lanyards and harnesses to be worn at all times when operation order/stock pickers.
- Must follow all facility safety rules and regulations at all times.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform all scanner functions necessary for the position, including cycle-counts, replenishment, item inquiry, inventory putaway, etc.
- Ensure all product is stacked neatly and safely when moved via power equipment and when stored in rack or staging locations
- Maintain accuracy of all inventory movement at all times.
- Inspect and perform or assist in equipment maintenance as required; report any unsafe conditions to management.
- High School Diploma or GED Certificate preferred.
- Must be trained and licensed to operate power equipment
- For non-internal promotions, candidates must have a minimum 1 year power equipment operation experience.
- Requires satisfactory completion of a forklift training program.
- Ability to demonstrate basic product scanner proficiency (i.e., ordering replenishment) effectively with minimal errors.
- Strong team player and the ability to get along with co-workers.
- Good verbal/written communication skills, basic math skills, and ability to read documents in English, such as safety rules, operating instructions and procedure manuals.
- Mustbe at least 18 years of age.
- Must be able to lift boxes that weigh up to 50 lbs occasionally on a daily basis
- Must be able to stand, reach above and below the shoulders, squat, bend and kneel as necessary to perform the job
- Must be able to tolerate work in a non-air conditioned environment
- Must be able to successfully complete the training required and become certified to operate the powered industrial equipment the operator is assigned to use as well as maintain their certification on that same equipment.
- Must be drug free and participate in and pass the initial drug screen as well as all future random drug screens.
- Must be able to correctly wear any personal protective equipment (PPE) necessary to perform any task requiring the wearing PPE.