Employees in this position will work as an extension of medical practices by making appointments, addressing general inquiries, and making referrals. The ideal candidate for this role is one who enjoys continually adapting to a fast - paced, team - oriented, and goal driven work environment. You must be a strong communicator, respectful and professional in your consumer - facing demeanor, and be an attentive listener in order to resolve consumer issues effectively and efficiently. Excellent communication and organizational skills are essential in order to successfully communicate with a diverse consumer population and team. You will be required to handle multiple tasks while demonstrating independent thinking and problem - solving skills.
- Answer inbound calls from patients and providers regarding appointments and general inquiries
- Refer calls to nurse triage team according to protocols
- Track appointments and document information completely, timely, and accurately
- Make outbound calls to remind patients of appointments or to coordinate resolution of care opportunities with patients, providers, and pharmacies.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to issues and show proactive behavior in addressing customer needs
- Escalate transactions when defined by protocols
- Demonstrate active listening and empathy in all interactions
- Demonstrate effective communication through proper tone, pace, volume, grammar, and pronunciation
- Demonstrate courtesy in each interaction
- Control the interaction to ensure each of the consumer’s inquiry is handled completely and efficiently
- Meet key performance goals established including quality and attendance
- Maintain confidentiality and adhere to HIPAA requirements
- Other duties, as assigned
- High School Diploma / GED or higher
- 1+ years of telephonic customer service experience, handling moderate to complex transactions
- 1+ years of healthcare experience, including familiarity with medical terminology
- Basic computer, internet, mouse, and keyboarding skills (40 words per minute at 90 percent accuracy)
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel (ability to create, edit, copy, send, and save spreadsheets)
- Experience working in a physician, provider, and / or medical office
- Knowledge of electronic medical record systems and practice management systems
- Demonstrated ability to identify with a consumer in order to understand and align with their needs and realities
- Demonstrated ability to perform effective active listening skills to empathize with the customer in order to develop a trust and respect
- Demonstrated ability to take responsibility and internally driven to accomplish goals and recognize what needs to be done in order to achieve a goal(s)
- Demonstrated ability to turn situations around and go above and beyond to meet the needs of the customer
- Good Attendance Record
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: Optum, Healthcare, Customer Service, Telephonic, Patient Care, Coordinator