Shift Days: M-f; Shift Hours: 9:30- 6pm
The Patient Financial Advocate (PFA) is a part of the Medical Financial Solutions (MFS) department that uses a holistic approach to secure payment of patient balances on behalf of hospital clients. The primary function of the PFA is to make outbound phone calls in a fast-paced call center, engaging in scripted conversation with patients to collect their portion of the account. This role is empowered to use analytical skills to determine patient eligibility for additional resources to settle financial obligations.
New PFAs are supported by robust training receiving three weeks of classroom and floor instruction as well as being assigned a mentor. Success in this role is measured according to meeting established metrics and high performers are awarded with monthly and quarterly cash bonuses. Hard work, exemplary performance and continuously expanding knowledge of host systems can lead to opportunities to move up and become a great people leader at R1.
Reports to a department Operations Supervisor and receives ongoing daily support from the PFA Team Lead.
Your day to day role will include:
- Makes and receives inbound/outbound phone calls to initiate arrangements for patients to pay their portion of the account.
- Respond to patient billing inquiries.
- Negotiate payments and payment plans with patients.
- Submit credit card payments.
- Escalate high complexity billing issues for resolution to a senior associate or supervisor.
- Meets or exceeds daily production requirements.
- Adhere to all applicable disclosure and collections rules and regulations.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Working college credentials.
- 2 years of prior collection experience utilizing a Dialer.
- Working knowledge of federal and state regulations pertaining to the collection of accounts.
- Excellent follow through abilities to meet daily productivity targets.
- Excellent customer service skills exhibiting good oral and written communication skills.
- Moderate computer skills (internet, email, MS Office) obtained from prior work experience.
It would be great if you also have:
- 4-year college degree.
R1 is changing healthcare by infusing operational discipline and proprietary technology in hospital financial processes. We are an industry leader; we are the only independent organization with a comprehensive service and technology offering for hospital revenue cycle management, and we have achieved leading outcomes for our customers.
- A strong financial performing, growing organization that will keep you on your toes with new ideas, changes and opportunities to learn and grow in abundance.
- A culture of excellence, driving customer success so they can focus on improving patient care and on giving back to the community.
- A Total Rewards package which may include such things as: competitive compensation package, the ability to choose from a comprehensive benefit program mostly funded by R1 that includes medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, commuter benefits, life and disability insurance, along with work life balance programs including paid time off for personal time, illness and volunteering, and we offer a retirement savings plan and continuing training and development and so much more!
Sound like you? Let’s talk!
R1 is a leading provider of revenue cycle management services and Physician Advisory Services to healthcare providers. We are the largest independent end-to-end revenue cycle provider and have the longest operating history in the revenue cycle industry. R1’s objective is to be the one trusted partner to manage revenue so providers and patients can focus on what matters most. Our distinctive operating model and values includes people, processes, and sophisticated integrated technology/analytics that help customers realize sustainable improvements in their operating margins and improve the satisfaction of their patients, physicians, and staff. We are dedicated to transforming the commercial infrastructure and patient experience in healthcare.