Monday-Friday - Flexible start time
The Patient Financial Advocate (PFA) is a part of the Central Financial Assistance department that uses a holistic approach to secure payment of patient balances on behalf of hospital clients. The primary function of the PFA is processing financial assistance applications. The Patient Financial Advocate will use analytical skills and must have high attention to detail to determine if the patient qualifies for financial assistance adjustments or charity donations.
The primary responsibility is to investigate eligibility for financial assistance. This person will be reviewing pay stubs, bank statements and tax income to determine household eligibility. The PFA could be processing about 20 applications per day. The PFA will also be responsible for communicating to other departments and customer regarding financial assistance inquires and status.
In order to be successful, this person must be highly organized and have a high sense of urgency following up and following through on tasks.
Your day to day role will include:
- Manages and processes financial assistance applications
- Responds to customers and status and assists other departments on processing questions
- Reviews customers financial records and calculates income for eligibility
- Escalates high complex applications to senior associate or supervisor.
- Responsible to communicate both verbal and written to customers about the status of their financial assistance application
- Meets or exceeds daily production requirements.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Excellent follow through abilities
- Excellent customer service skills exhibiting good oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of different income sources and situations that may be unique to the self-employed, farmers, internationally based patients, etc.
- Knowledge of medical funding sources for patients, such as Medicaid, CHIP, etc.
- Ability to toggle and use multiple systems with different user interfaces.
- Experience with a role requiring responsible, sound, objective decision making using the information that is available.
- Experience in a role requiring organization, prioritization and accuracy.
R1 is changing healthcare by infusing operational discipline and proprietary technology in hospital financial processes. We are an industry leader; we are the only independent organization with a comprehensive service and technology offering for hospital revenue cycle management, and we have achieved leading outcomes for our customers.
- A strong financial performing, growing organization that will keep you on your toes with new ideas, changes and opportunities to learn and grow in abundance.
- A culture of excellence, driving customer success so they can focus on improving patient care and on giving back to the community.
- A Total Rewards package which may include such things as: competitive compensation package, the ability to choose from a comprehensive benefit program mostly funded by R1 that includes medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, commuter benefits, life and disability insurance, along with work life balance programs including paid time off for personal time, illness and volunteering, and we offer a retirement savings plan and continuing training and development and so much more!
Sound like you? Let’s talk!
R1 is a leading provider of revenue cycle management services and Physician Advisory Services to healthcare providers. We are the largest independent end-to-end revenue cycle provider and have the longest operating history in the revenue cycle industry. R1’s objective is to be the one trusted partner to manage revenue so providers and patients can focus on what matters most. Our distinctive operating model and values includes people, processes, and sophisticated integrated technology/analytics that help customers realize sustainable improvements in their operating margins and improve the satisfaction of their patients, physicians, and staff. We are dedicated to transforming the commercial infrastructure and patient experience in healthcare.