Responsible to direct the work of a group of clerical associates engaged in the processing of system wide biweekly payroll. Manager is also responsible for all monthly and quarterly withholding and unemployment taxes. Must maintain current on Payroll system (Lawson) to achieve alignment with Human Resource department and with benefits, and to ensure effective accounting support. Must also facilitate Company management and associates’ understanding of payroll procedures.
TYPE OF SUPERVISION RECEIVED:
Payroll Manager works independently but may need supervision by Comptroller to complete the prioritized tasks.
DUTIES AND TASKS, including but not limited to the following:
- Manages Workday payroll systems as a component of an enterprise human capital management (HCM) system.
- Serves as an expert resource for all Workday payroll matters within the HCM, payroll functions.
- Prepares and executes multi-state payroll processing.
- Manages and ensures compliance with various state and local laws and regulations for multi-state payroll activities.
- Ensures and facilitates the review and assessment of Workday payroll practices and procedures for operational effectiveness and compliance.
- Ensures compliance with legal requirements by studying existing and new legislations, enforcing adherence to requirements and advising management on needed actions.
- Leads the documentation of business requirements, configuration, testing, data validation and ongoing maintenance of Workday payroll systems.
- Partner with Technology teams to develop, maintain and trouble-shoot payroll, HCM and Workday related systems integrations and technology processes.
- Participate in formal skills training and build significant team knowledge of systems, regulations, and payroll best practices
- Manages external relationships with third party vendors, state, local and federal agencies.
- Mentor and develop staff.
- Analyze, prepare, and input payroll data to produce accurate and timely payroll.
- Prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports for associates and management.
- Perform various account reconciliation and provides General Ledger support.
- Plan and organize multiple projects within the Payroll department.
- Most importantly; maintain confidential information.
QUALIFICATIONS, including but not limited to the following:
- High School Diploma or Equivalency Certificate required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or equivalent preferred.
- Multi-state payroll processing required.
- 1 – 2 years’ experience processing Workday Payroll required.
- 3 – 5 years’ experience processing Workday Payroll preferred.
- Must have regularly performed high-level and detailed payroll functions beyond data entry or calculating time.
- Complete understanding of multi-state payroll and payroll tax laws.
- Experience with complex payrolls including commissions, reimbursement, etc. is preferred.
- Accurate and quick 10-key and data entry are required.
- Proficiency in Word and Excel.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position:
- Problem solving – the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully and maintains confidentiality.
- Interpersonal skills – the individual maintains confidentiality, remains open to others’ ideas and exhibits willingness to try new things.
- Oral Communication – the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- Written Communication – the individual edits work for spelling and grammar, presents numerical data effectively and can read and interpret written information.
- Quality Control – the individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Planning/Organizing – the individual prioritizes and plans work activities and uses time efficiently.
- Adaptability – the individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and can deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Dependability – the individual is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve.
- Integrity – the individual acts in such a way that instills trust from management, other associates, as well as customers. Acts with honesty while assisting customers, processing transactions, handling money, and confidential information.
- Teamwork - the individual can work with others including partners, vendors and customers in a positive manner. They understand each other’s roles and empower one another to take responsibility to be a successful team.