Department:OH1MH_19000_002 Clinical Laboratory Mcw
Expected Weekly Hours:40
Position Purpose:Our Patient Care Support colleagues support our mission in a variety of ways. Their compassion and commitment to collaborative excellence positively impacts our patients and the communities we serve. This is what truly sets Mount Carmel apart. In return, Mount Carmel provides excellent learning and growth opportunities, excellent benefits and opportunities to succeed.
Job Description Details:
In accordance with the Mission and Guiding Behaviors; the Phlebotomist ensures accurate
registration of patients with all information required. Places patient orders; collects and
labels specimens utilizing positive patient identification. Processes and prepares specimens
for transport as needed. Produces reports for faxing or delivery as needed and
communicates appropriate information to the healthcare team.
- Identifies each patient accurately by verifying date of birth, spelling of last and first name.
- Collects specimens utilizing professional and accepted practices: Venipuncture, Capillary
- puncture and Urine Collection.
- Labels all specimens accurately.
- Transports specimens in a timely manner.
- Processes specimens per laboratory procedure.
- Review computer reports, resolves any problems and makes appropriate corrections.
- Answers telephone promptly (within 3 rings) and handles all calls with courtesy and
- efficiency. Provides appropriate results and delivers accurate messages regarding
- specimen collection and processing.
- Maintains adequate supply levels for assigned areas.
- Maintains a safe environment following hospital policies and procedures, performs required
- safety checks.
- Maintains a high level of quality assurance.
- Reports all quality concerns according to policy.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent
- Licensure / Certification: Phlebotomy certification desirable, but not required.
- Experience: Phlebotomy and basic computer skills required;
- Effective Communication Skills
- Working knowledge of medical terminology is desirable.
- Detail oriented, able to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to effectively function in stressful situations.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, as needed.
- Working knowledge of third party payor regulations and requirements desirable.
Trinity Health's Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Trinity Health employs more than 120,000 colleagues at dozens of hospitals and hundreds of health centers in 21 states. Because we serve diverse populations, our colleagues are trained to recognize the cultural beliefs, values, traditions, language preferences, and health practices of the communities that we serve and to apply that knowledge to produce positive health outcomes. We also recognize that each of us has a different way of thinking and perceiving our world and that these differences often lead to innovative solutions.
Trinity Health's dedication to diversity includes a unified workforce (through training and education, recruitment, retention and development), commitment and accountability, communication, community partnerships, and supplier diversity.