Department:OH1CS_40800_000 Hospice Program
Expected Weekly Hours:40
Position Purpose:At Mount Carmel, we’re committed to making a meaningful difference in the lives of our patients and communities. Our colleagues – people like you – share our passion for always going above and beyond to provide the highest standards of care.
Job Description Details:
At Mount Carmel, we understand that elevating patient-centered care comes from the efforts of all colleagues. Highly specialized roles such as Nutrition, Environmental Services and more help to provide the signature experiences that help achieve positive outcomes. You’ll find support, teamwork and coworkers that help you get the best out of yourself.
Our Physician Coding Specialist is responsible for the review of medical records and assignment of appropriate diagnostic and procedural (ICD- 10-CM and CPT) codes for the billing of services. Analyzes the admitting nurse and physician documentation contained in the medical record and assigns the appropriate codes in the Allscripts system for the services provided.
- Relationship-based Care: Creates a caring and healing environment that keeps the patient and family at the center of care throughout their experience at Mount Carmel Hospice.
- Reviews and evaluates patient medical records to identify diagnoses and procedures and accurately assigns and sequences ICD-10-CM and CPT codes for the billing of hospice services.
- Maintains internal data base for monitoring of records not billable. Tracks issues (such as missing documentation in Allscripts) that require follow up to facilitate coding in a timely fashion.
- Communicates documentation discrepancies, coding definitions and questions to the medical staff for clarification in a professional and courteous manner.
- Attends educational opportunities to enhance knowledge in coding and reimbursement systems and maintains coding certification.
- Education: An associate's degree in Health Information Management Technology or a related field is required.
- Licensure / Certification: Certification as RHIA, RHIT, CPC, or CCS-P is required.
- Experience: One year of experience in coding for professional services in a clinic or physician office setting is required.
- Must possess a comprehensive knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, disease processes, and diagnostic and procedural coding, as normally obtained through a coding certificate program, or degree in Health Information Technology or Health Information Management.
- Ability to use a standard desktop and windows based computer system, including a basic understanding of e-mail, internet, and computer navigation. Ability to use other software as required to perform the essential functions on the job.
Discovering opportunities, support and excellence – all while making a real difference in patients’ lives – begins at Mount Carmel. Find a new beginning and advance your career with us.
Mount Carmel and all its affiliates are proud to be equal opportunity employers. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, or physical ability.
Trinity Health's Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Trinity Health employs more than 120,000 colleagues at dozens of hospitals and hundreds of health centers in 21 states. Because we serve diverse populations, our colleagues are trained to recognize the cultural beliefs, values, traditions, language preferences, and health practices of the communities that we serve and to apply that knowledge to produce positive health outcomes. We also recognize that each of us has a different way of thinking and perceiving our world and that these differences often lead to innovative solutions.
Trinity Health's dedication to diversity includes a unified workforce (through training and education, recruitment, retention and development), commitment and accountability, communication, community partnerships, and supplier diversity.