Southwest Medical Associates (SMA) is a multi-specialty group of physicians, Nurse Practitioners, and Physician Assistants consisting of over 300 providers, 21 medical health centers including six urgent care clinics, four convenient care centers, two lifestyle centers catering to older adults, an outpatient surgery center, plus E-visits and online options via Now Clinic telemedicine technology. SMA offers patients compassion, innovation, and quality care throughout southern Nevada. SMA is headquartered in the greater Las Vegas, NV area.
Southwest Medical Associates is now part of the Optum division under the greater UnitedHealth Group umbrella.
Do you have compassion and a passion to help others? Transforming healthcare and millions of lives as a result starts with the values you embrace and the passion you bring to achieve your life’s best work.(sm)
Southwest Medical Associates has an exciting practice opportunity for an Interventional Pain Management Physician to complement our current pain management division.
Our current practice includes anesthesiologist based multidisciplinary clinic with physician assistant/nurse practitioner support. Clinical philosophy strongly supports evidence-based practice/guidelines to ensure patient and clinical resources are aligned for optimal patient care.
This role includes both independent practice and supervision of mid-level providers (Nurse Practitioner and/or Physician Assistant).
- Obtain history and physical exam in order to break down complex clinical symptoms into manageable treatment algorithms
- Educate patient and family about chronic pain pathology and treatment algorithms
- Follow-up with patients to assess response to multiple and often concurrent therapies including medication management, interventional therapies and psychological counseling
- Interpretation and implementation of evidence -based medicine as it pertains to acute and chronic pain management
- Risk and treatment stratification approaches to chronic pain management
- Office-based procedural therapies such as large/intermediate joint injections (shoulder, knee, elbow, ankle), small joints (hand), tendonitis, bursitis, and trigger point injections
- Interventional pain/spine procedures:
- Ability to discuss indications and details of procedure with patients
- Ability to perform full spectrum in interventional pain/spine modalities
- Risk/benefit/alternative analysis with patients
- Post procedure assessment for efficacy and complications
- Educating patients about their radiographic imaging results and correlation to symptoms and potential therapies
- Case review to coordinate care among other specialties (i.e. surgical)
- Must have completed an accredited residency in Anesthesiology and an accredited fellowship in Pain Management
- Must be board certified or board eligible in specialty
- Active and unrestricted license in the State of Nevada or ability to obtain prior to employment
- DEA license or ability to obtain prior to employment
- Pathophysiology of acute and chronic pain conditions
- Complex pharmacological therapies including chronic opioid therapy
- Rational use of opioids in the treatment of chronic pain
- Neuro-musculoskeletal pathology
- Advanced radiographic imaging (i.e. MRI)
- Psychological pathology and relation to chronic pain
- Applications of the biopsychosocial model of pain
- Extensive knowledge and experience in educating patients and other providers about a full spectrum of interventional pain/spine procedures to include the following: Indications, Spinal anatomy associated with intervention, Pharmacology associated with intervention, Potential complications and associated work-up and treatment associated with intervention
- General medicine and relationship to chronic pain and treatment algorithms
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make the health system work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Anesthesiology, Pain Management, Interventional Pain Management, Las Vegas, Nevada, NV