Advisory Board Research, a division of Optum, is an industry-leading resource for C-suite executives across 4,400+ organizations in health care (health systems, insurers, life sciences and physician group leaders). For more than 35 years, we have helped these executives work smarter and faster by providing clarity on health care's most pressing issues - along with the guidance, tools, and implementation resources they need to take action.
Practice Managers will support the development and refinement of the company’s growth strategy, expanding the firm’s knowledge base in emerging terrains, and spearheading the research, development, and launch of multiple new businesses. Entrepreneurial-minded candidates will find a challenging environment, a supportive organization and an opportunity to develop a broad skill-set while affecting meaningful change in one of the most critical industries in today’s economy.
Your role in the Product Strategy Group puts you in the driver’s seat as we define the growth strategy for the Research business, consider mergers and acquisitions and grow new businesses from idea to scaled business. This group offers motivated, entrepreneurial staff a unique opportunity to drive the firm’s growth while inflecting systemic change across the healthcare industry. Product Strategy group members interact directly with the CEO and a cross-section of the most senior leaders in Research and in our parent organizations, Optum and UnitedHealth Group.
- Identify, scope and size new business opportunities
- Analyze competitors and draft positioning collateral
- Conduct rigorous market testing by interviewing key industry executives
- Develop pro-formas and financial models
- Pitch new business types or terrain explorations to senior leaders
- Evaluate and diligence investments and acquisitions
- Collaborate with development and product management teams on internal builds
- Support initial hiring, sales, and implementation activities on new ventures
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years of experience working with clients in a consultative role - comfort engaging senior level people in back-and-forth conversation, ability to be convincing when necessary, and ability to develop strong relationships through each interaction
- Experience with solution focused problem solving and thinking through problems creatively
- MBA or other advanced degree
- Experience working a growth environment, partnering closely with commercial leaders on go-to-market strategy and positioning
- Experience with developing growth strategies for organization(s), particularly around new business lines
- Experience working in a team environment, as well as independently and autonomously
- Experience managing and coaching more junior team members
- Experience conducting root-cause analysis
- Willingness to take risks and act decisively with regard to new opportunities
- Health care experience (ideally with some background in care delivery or health insurance, as a window into how care comes together in the field)
Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world’s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve.
Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Advisory Board Research is a unique place within the broader Optum family. Our researchers are authorities in their field, serving as trusted advisors to senior executives across healthcare. We understand the power of language - whether through words, images, or code, we strive for simplicity, clarity, and beauty in our work. We run to criticism. We aspire to be our members’ trusted advisor and strategic partner. At the same time, we ask members to guide our work and challenge us, which means continually seeking feedback and making improvements. We approach our work with a spirit of generosity. We strive to serve everyone - colleagues, members, community partners, shareholders - beyond expectation, and with appreciation in every encounter.
At the Advisory Board, You'll find motivated employees, growth opportunities, and a deep commitment to our members. We pride ourselves on hiring the best people - not just for the job, but for the firm and the future of health care.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: engagement manager, new product development, R&D, client management, health care strategy, go-to-market strategy, payer, Washington, DC, District of Columbia