As the Principal Data Scientist the role will support the Predictive Modeling and Advanced Analytics functions of the Consumer Analytics, Insights, and Reporting team through building of models, tools, and capabilities that can be operationalized and hence positively impact KPIs.
- Develop predictive models based on demographic, psychographic, econometric and statistical data that deliver insights related to member enrollment
- Investigate, rationalize, and recommend optimal approaches to the use of Machine Learning / Artificial Intelligence techniques to positively impact engagement and health outcome KPIs
- Help define and develop the analytics strategy to support consumer engagement within our different product offerings
- Ensure that stakeholder commitments around consumer profiling, market sizing, and target market analysis to key stakeholders are met
- Partner with stakeholders to embed analytics within marketing strategy, marketing campaigns, product development, and operations across business lines
- Undertake rigorous and meticulous data analysis to extract and distill key population insights that will be consumed by functions such as business strategy, product marketing, and consumer marketing
- Support the development of the insights and analytics capability by identifying new technologies and overseeing technical knowledge decks as needed to satisfy the evolving needs of business stakeholders
- Conduct secondary research around new analytic tools in the marketplace and assess the viability of using these tools in-house
- Bachelor’s Degree in a quantitative/business field such as Analytics, Economics, Statistics, or Business Management – Master’s degree
- 5+ years of statistical modeling experience in statistical packages and scripting applications such as SAS, SQL, SPSS, R etc.
- Familiarity with big data tools such as Hadoop and Spark
- Experience with both supervised and unsupervised machine learning methodologies
- Ability to articulate and differentiate between Artificial Intelligence, Deep Learning, and Machine Learning and demonstrate the knowledge to build solutions within each of these domains
- Strong knowledge of extracting and developing key consumer insights within a population
- Proficiency in distilling insights and presenting to business leadership
- Experience in simplifying complex analytics concepts and insights into information that is consumed by non-analytics audiences
- Ability to query databases and perform statistical analysis; strong understanding of statistics and statistical theory
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal); ability to present communication plans to customers
- Highly evolved problem-solving skills and adept at understanding and resolving unstructured problems
- Strong team player, adept in multi-tasking
- Actively works to resolve project challenges and facilitates knowledge transfer between team members
- Healthcare industry experience
- Creative strategist with ability to execute plans with strong attention to detail
- Works independently with minimal direction
- Highly motivated with ability to work in a fast paced, changing environment
- Ability to build and maintain strong internal relationships with various cross functional areas
- Comfortable and adept at working in large organizations with matrixed organizational structures
- Champions innovation and change across the organization
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Principal Data Scientist, Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota.