The Principal Engineer in the Product, Content & Applications team will be responsible to make sure that all of the architect decisions from the department are fully integrated with the overall STS architect and standard. He/She will also be responsible to keep the team up to date with the software technologies in the business domain.
The Principal Engineer will:
• Be able to pick up any engineering tasks and get his/her self an expert of the area with minimum supervision from the manager.
• Work with business owners to design a global solution for Scholastic Rights and Royalties management, especially the IP level Rights tracking.
• Design the end-to-end authoring/publishing flow for Scholastic content management solution.
• Own and make architecture decisions for platforms, services, and digital products the Product, Content & Applications engineering team will deliver.
• Validate vendors, and assess vendor proposed architecture/solutions, especially for products involving uncharted area (e.g. game development, VR and AR)
• Make sure all of the architect decisions fully integrated with the overall STS architect and standard
• Be responsible to keep up-to-date with software technologies in their business domain (e.g. Education, Library publishing etc.)
• Help the Product Support team to troubleshoot difficult field issues with our customers.
HOW YOU CAN FIT
• Managerial competence, which supports team organization and management
o Understands STS engineering best practices and coaches team to effectively apply them
o Understands technology stack in use by project teams and reviews for fit with the engineering teams in use
o Engages with program managers, architects, development managers and leads to understand application dependencies and ensure effective deliveries
o Make sound architect decisions and be able to communicate the decisions to the rest of the company.
o Lead through influence the rest of the team to follow proper and solid architect decisions.
• Technical competence
o Hands-on knowledge in one or more technical areas including ATDD, Cucumber, Java, Angular
o Experience with Acceptance Driven Development (ATDD) or Behavior Driven Development (BDD) approaches to developing software
o Experience with two or more Scholastic business domains such as Education, eCommerce, digital publishing, Content Management etc.
o Comfortable with technical domains including Micro services, REST API, and NoSQL Databases, Git, Jenkins, etc
o Familiar with Cloud technologies such as AWS
o Knowledge in the native mobile applications on iOS, Android platforms
• Other competence
o Strong adherent to Agile principles in letter as well as in spirit. Knows and follows Agile convention, but importantly internalizes and evangelizes the Agile spirit
o Strong communicator – able to work closely with counterparts to understand product needs and select the right people and technologies to create and maintain automated tests
o Understands the importance of metrics in the modern software organization and supports the automated generation of such metrics as an outcome of normal work. Observes patterns in the metrics and takes appropriate action
o Can enforce process and best practices to team members as well as teams that engage quality engineers
WHO WE ARE
Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is the world's largest publisher and distributor of children's books, a leading provider of core literacy curriculum and professional services, and a producer of educational and entertaining children's media. The Company creates quality books and ebooks, print and technology-based learning programs for pre-K to grade 12, classroom magazines and other products and services that support children's learning both in school and at home. With operations in 14 international offices and exports to 165 countries, Scholastic makes quality, affordable books available to all children around the world through school-based book clubs and book fairs, classroom collections, school and public libraries, retail and online. True to its mission of 97 years to encourage the personal and intellectual growth of all children beginning with literacy, the Company has earned a reputation as a trusted partner to educators and families. Learn more at www.scholastic.com.
Some benefits that we offer:
• 100% vested of 401(k) Retirement Plan after 5 years employment
• Up to 1M worth of supplemental Life Insurance
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Purchase Scholastic stock at a 15% discount
Thank you for your consideration in choosing Scholastic.