The Product Marketing Manager manages all aspects of marketing for successful promotion of the Scholastic Professional product line. This includes providing support to our sales teams targeting K12 districts and to our authors. This Product Marketing Manager is responsible for product management, copywriting, catalog assembly, list selection, layout with design teams or vendors, production with printer and mail house, invoice processing, campaign results, and execution of advertising and email campaigns. The Product Marketing Manager is expected to take full ownership of the projects and to complete projects accurately, on time, on budget, and with results-driven goals to ensure successful product launches and increased revenue. The Product Marketing Manager is expected to be conversant in all aspects of marketing to Scholastic Education audiences.
The Product Marketing Manager’s primary responsibility is the project management and implementation of Scholastic Professional’s product marketing plans. Projects include direct mail, digital marketing, print and digital advertising, social media marketing, dealer/trade promotions, and email marketing. The Product Marketing Manager is responsible for each project from start to finish and requires the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously. The position does not have any direct reports, but coordinates work with the department’s staff and works closely with our editorial and sales teams. The Product Marketing Manager also works with outside vendors and other departments within Scholastic.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The job functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop creative and highly targeted marketing plans for campaigns targeting K12 education.
• Execute marketing plans across all channels including advertising, conventions, catalogs, e-commerce, and various sales teams.
• Manage product marketing through the entire cycle from inception, including developing new product launch plans and adjusting plans to deliver increased revenue.
• Analyze market conditions and accurately predict future market trends.
• Maintain expert knowledge on key products in K12 schools.
• Lead competitive analysis efforts regarding competitors’ marketing strategies to inform product marketing efforts.
• Work with corporate communications teams to develop effective launch strategies for public relations and social media.
• Drive creative process for collateral development including developing creative concept with designers, consistent use of brand identity, product assets, etc.
• Work on all aspects of product promotion such as driving the timely completion of creating brochures, writing marketing copy, catalogs, and advertising.
• Write exceptional copy and product information and edit copy as appropriate for effective marketing pieces.
• Maximize endorsements for pre-publication copy.
• Ensure copy is accurate through the use of proofing and fact-checking.
• Provide proofed, fact-checked and approved copy to designers to reduce revisions during design.
• Work with Graphic Designers to create effective direct response designs, overseeing accuracy and proofing.
• Collect all product branding assets (logo, images) for effective promotion.
• For advertisements, ensure art meets publication specifications and is submitted by the date due.
• Assign all needed tracking codes and document in priority code log.
• Confirm materials are developed according to USPS mailing requirements.
• Oversee the preparation of files for printing and development of .pdf with Graphic Designer.
• Obtain appropriate approvals as agreed throughout project processes.
• Source appropriate opportunities for digital advertising of each product.
• Plan and schedule campaigns including new product announcements, pre-conference efforts, single and multiple products campaigns and other appropriate efforts.
• Select products to be advertised and create copy, create merchandising opportunities through outside outlets and internal e-commerce and content sites.
• Identify key markets and roles for effective targeting.
• Test and execute campaigns.
• Track, evaluate, and report results.
• Develop and deliver product training presentations to various teams, particularly sales and customer service
• Support wide-scale corporate training initiatives, such as national sales meetings and new hire training, collaborating with Training staff to develop and deliver product-specific training.
• Create sales training materials and product launch tools as needed
• Design effective communications across divisions to promote internal training and development resources.
• Ensure timely delivery of all sales collateral via The Hub and timely response to sales team’s inquiries regarding collateral development, product features and benefits
• Act as marketing liaison with authors to inform them about upcoming marketing plans, PR activities, social media events, conferences that are appropriate.
• Obtain authors’ speaking schedules (outside events) to source opportunities to promote our authors throughout and across divisions and to leverage author contacts to promote programs.
• Ensure staff have updates related to author events/conferences, on-site office visits, author luncheons/dinners, meet and greets.
• Work with author booking agent for author submittals for conferences designed to promote products.
• Create cross-promotional opportunities with authors’ websites and speaking engagements.
• Act as representative of the company when dealing with potential or existing customers and authors.
• When communicating with customers and authors, take appropriate actions to ensure they have a positive experience with, and image of, the company.
• Manage author-specific marketing projects including development and printing of collateral materials, webinars, print and digital advertising development and placement, field mailings and support activities, and other projects as needed
• Provide information and feedback that informs the Corporate Communications’ public relation plans by product as assigned,
• Manage production of all author flyers and New Program Announcements and other publicity materials as appropriate on a timely basis, including print coordination.
• Manage additional activities to effectively promote programs: gathering information on Peer Quotes/Reviews, Awards, Affiliations, including copyediting, handling submissions, obtaining permission, and maintaining across all promotions.
Scheduling & Budgeting
• Develop detailed budget; obtain approval; update with revisions throughout project to maintain record of project.
• Develop schedules for each project and adhere to planned mail dates (allowing adequate time for others’ involvement).
• Provide updates to dates as they change on master Marketing Calendar.
• Develop a project budget to meet annual marketing budget plan and obtain approval as part of the marketing plan.
• Work with Editorial to obtain input for projects; understand the recommendations and evaluate appropriately.
• Document projects throughout process– developing creative briefs, etc.
• Provide recommendations for additional marketing projects.
• Create and maintain accurate print specs.
Print Production Oversight
• Audit, correct and approve proofs during printing process.
• Review printed samples for quality prior to mailing.
• Provide clear, detailed written instructions; revise and resubmit in writing as instructions change.
• Follow-through and audit process at every step.
• Manage all vendor expenses not to exceed approved budget; obtain approval for any budget variances.
• Audit invoices to confirm that all charges are accurate and addition is correct; follow-up with vendor regarding any clarification needed. Accurately code for finance tracking.
• Ensure proper import of new products for all product data systems and provide confirmation that new products are uploaded with accurate information.
• Input invoices into expense tracking as they are received so current data is accessible.
• Ensure tracking and tagging codes are “activated” by appropriate department (IT, Sales, Operations, eCommerce, Customer Service, and Sales), including any appropriate discounts.
• Facilitate, as needed, the accurate tracking of responses by IT, Sales, Operations, eCommerce, Customer Service and Sales to troubleshoot issues for internal stakeholders and customers.
• Check that responses are coming in when expected for new campaigns.
• Review results in promotion reports and make necessary adjustments for future campaigns.
• Ensure the project file is complete with all documentation, including samples.
• Review results and provide recommendations for improving the results or reducing the costs of the next effort.
• Ensure copy, image, and asset corrections found are updated to all projects in progress and updated accordingly in systems tools.
HOW YOU CAN FIT
Any combination equivalent to, but not limited to, the following:
• Four year college degree, preferably in a related field
• 4+ years of marketing experience, publishing or agency experience preferred
• Demonstrated project management skills, including planning, scheduling, budget maintenance and problem solving skills
• Strong presentation and facilitation skills
• Flexible and resourceful - able to react to change transparently in presentation environment
• Ability to establish rapport with K12 customers, dynamic and energetic sales team, and senior management
• Ability to work effectively as a team player
• Strong copywriting skills
• Knowledge of Word and Excel, or similar software
• Knowledge of creative and collateral printing processes
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and reading comprehension
• Ability to multi-task, plan, and prioritize
• Creative problem solving
• Analytical, abstract reasoning and mathematical ability
• Stress management for meeting deadlines and changing priorities
• Traveling includes at minimum 6 times per year (including airline transportation)
WHO WE ARE
Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is the world's largest publisher and distributor of children's books, a leading provider of core literacy curriculum and professional services, and a producer of educational and entertaining children's media. The Company creates quality books and ebooks, print and technology-based learning programs for pre-K to grade 12, classroom magazines and other products and services that support children's learning both in school and at home. With operations in 14 international offices and exports to 165 countries, Scholastic makes quality, affordable books available to all children around the world through school-based book clubs and book fairs, classroom collections, school and public libraries, retail and online. True to its mission of 97 years to encourage the personal and intellectual growth of all children beginning with literacy, the Company has earned a reputation as a trusted partner to educators and families. Learn more at www.scholastic.com.
Some benefits that we offer:
• 100% vested of 401(k) Retirement Plan after 5 years employment
• Up to 1M worth of supplemental Life Insurance
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Purchase Scholastic stock at a 15% discount
Thank you for your consideration in choosing Scholastic.