Scholastic Inc., the world's largest publisher and distributor of children's books, is seeking a production editor to work on licensed titles based on leading children’s properties and brands. Ideal candidates will be detail-oriented, expert project managers with an upbeat attitude and confident approach to juggling multiple high-profile projects.
The Production Editor, Licensed Publishing, oversees production of around 90 hardcover, paperback, and novelty titles per year, in addition to related ebook and school market simultaneous editions. Responsible for assessing and assigning freelancers, as needed, for copyediting and proofreading of manuscripts. Checks for quality assurance of text, illustrations, and photos in concordance with licensor style guides, and covers all stages from manuscript to finished books.
• Handles book production from copyedit through bound book, including printed and digital sales materials and eBooks for select titles
o Reviews copyedit and passes (assess freelancer work as needed)
o Answer copyedit/proofreader/editor queries when possible
o Keep property/series style sheet updated and enforce house style
• Carefully review materials (manuscripts, art, covers/jackets) and traffic them through various in-house departments
• Work closely with creative, editorial, and manufacturing departments on all aspects of a book
• Work with manager to create and maintain schedules, often rush
• Follow up with editorial/design when deadlines are missed
• Lead recurring status meetings, and attend various other meetings as needed
• Track progress in database and create status reports
• Enforce best practices as provided by Senior Production Director
REQUIRED SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE:
• Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills
• Personable and professional demeanor with strong written and in-person communication skills
• Strong knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation
• Ability to meet deadlines while maintaining high standards of quality and juggling multiple projects
• Strong computer skills – MAC preferred
• Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style
• Good sense of humor and interest in pop culture, video games, and children’s film and television a plus
• 2-3 years minimum experience as a book production editor or comparable role in a related media field; children’s media experience a plus
WHO WE ARE
Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is the world's largest publisher and distributor of children's books, a leading provider of core literacy curriculum and professional services, and a producer of educational and entertaining children's media. The Company creates quality books and ebooks, print and technology-based learning programs for pre-K to grade 12, classroom magazines and other products and services that support children's learning both in school and at home. With operations in 14 international offices and exports to 165 countries, Scholastic makes quality, affordable books available to all children around the world through school-based book clubs and book fairs, classroom collections, school and public libraries, retail and online. True to its mission of 97 years to encourage the personal and intellectual growth of all children beginning with literacy, the Company has earned a reputation as a trusted partner to educators and families. Learn more at www.scholastic.com.
Some benefits that we offer:
• 100% vested of 401(k) Retirement Plan after 5 years employment
• Up to 1M worth of supplemental Life Insurance
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Purchase Scholastic stock at a 15% discount
Thank you for your consideration in choosing Scholastic.