The Cytology Lab is seeking a qualified and motivated candidate to be the new Program Coordinator for Cytology, who will report to the Anatomic Pathology Manager.
The qualified candidate must possess a Bachelor's of Science with a Major in Cytology from an accredited school, at least 3 years of experience, and an ASCP license. The preferred candidate will possess at least 5 years of experience with previous supervisory experience in a hospital cytology environment setting. The qualified candidate must also have proficient knowledge in Microsoft Word and Excel, and able to demonstrate proficiency in the Laboratory LIS.
Duties of the Program Coordinator-Cytotechnologist include, but are not limited to:
- Process Non-Gyn cytology specimens in accordance to procedure.
- Screen Non-Gyn specimens accurately and in a timely manner.
- Accurately entering patient results, comments, and preparing reports.
- Assigns all cases to pathologist for sign out after completion of screening.
- Accurately identifies fungi, parasites, and viral changes.
- Assists with Fine Needle Aspiration specimen preparation and adequacy assessment.
- Documents number of slides screened and records on a daily basis.
- Creates montly Cytology QA reports.
- Creates new standard operating procedures when needed and reviews current SOP's yearly.
- Utilizes quality control procedures on a routine basis and performs daily stain checks.
- Prioritizes "rush" cases and screens and sends to pathologist in a timely manner.
- Notifies Anatomic Pathology Manager of any equipment or technical issues.
- Maintains good working knowledge of and follows all laboratory policies and procedures.
Other duties include performing yearly evaluations on employees, assisting with special projects, training, participating in continuing education, and recognizing and solving problems.