Job Purpose: Manages the planning, design, development, and implementation of First Student IT projects. Responsible for delivery of all assigned projects within time, cost and scope/quality defined boundaries, in accordance to the First Group America Project Management Methodology. Leads project team to deliver solutions addressing customer requirements. Applies rigorous project management methodology to initiate, plan, execute, control, and close out all assigned initiatives.
- Manages team that may include remote members to deliver solutions.
- Leads project team in defining the project deliverables, milestones, resource plan, and schedule.
- Creates project financial expense plan, tracking and reporting variances throughout project.
- Leads project team in implementing/applying standard processes for change management, risk management, issue management, quality assurance, and project communications.
- Manages execution of project schedule, reporting variances along with planned corrective action.
- Provides timely and accurate status reporting to project stakeholders.
- Builds and maintains high performance teams through own actions and direction provided to others.
- Provides leadership through all phases of the project, motivating the project team to meet project goals.
- May support contract negotiations by providing subject matter expertise and requirements.
- Negotiates with other business groups and external vendors to obtain appropriately skilled human resources for project.
- Ensures project closes effectively through production turnover, documentation of lessons learned and provision of feedback on project resource performance.
Describe level of decision making and list examples of common decisions made:
Minimum Education & Certifications Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science/MIS or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Project management certification (e.g. Masters Certificate or PMP) preferred.
Experience & Skills Required:
- 5-8 years’ experience.
- At least 4 years of recent project management experience, with a successful track record for the delivery of projects.
- Experience using PMI/PRINCE 2 based processes to manage projects.
- A proven ability to inspire and coordinate the talents of multidisciplinary teams.
- Creative approach to problem solving and management of projects.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, influence, negotiation, organization and communication skills required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Project and Office applications required.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions (include amount of travel): Incumbent must be able to move about the office and between floors; utilize standard office equipment; access filing system/cabinets; and communicate effectively and efficiently in person or by telephone.
Possibility of some travel.