The person in this position is responsible for the implementation and monitoring of sourcing strategies, procedures, and processes. This individual will provide support for the assigned commodities by creating and implementing commodity and supplier strategies. The Purchasing Manager is responsible for the sourcing of Maintenance of Equipment (MOE) materials and services to meet the operational requirements of the G&W Mechanical Department as related to freight cars and locomotives.
- Support the Purchasing Department leader in the development and delivery of best-in-class sourcing strategies.
- Organize, facilitate, and manage cross-functional teams to develop commodity plans for material and service purchases. Commodity plans will include the development and implementation of sourcing strategies, supplier improvement plans, supplier reviews, and risk management strategies.
- Direct and manage the analysis of service purchases considering specifications, final delivered life-cycle cost, delivery requirements, and supplier reliability.
- Plan long-term and short-term sourcing strategies consistent with market conditions.
- Responsible for the selection, negotiation, and execution of sourcing for assigned commodities, including implementation of supplier partnering agreements.
- Work with company locations to ensure sourcing strategies and decisions achieve overall commodity objectives and to ensure that individual business requirements are considered.
- Develop and implement plans for process changes in the support of continuous improvement initiatives for operations.
- Optimize the relationship of contracts and one-time purchases to minimize administration and reduce overall expense.
- Provide ongoing support for planning, ordering, and delivery of assigned commodities to ensure on-time delivery across all levels of the organization. Issuance of purchase orders may be required.
- Managing the partnerships, reporting needs, and decision making strategies between the Purchasing Department and Business Unit to ensure compliance with new rates, supplier relationships, sourcing strategies, policies, and procedures.
- Strong verbal, written, analytical, and negotiation skills.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines independently.
- Experience leading projects and cross-functional work teams to achieve desired results.
- Strong team player who can effectively influence from within the team.
- Strong problem identification and problem solving skills.
- Advanced MS Excel, Access, and PowerPoint skills.
- Proficiency with Great Plains (or equivalent ERM system) and Google Maps.
- Bachelors Degree in related field or a minimum of 7 years related purchasing experience, preferably within the railroad industry
- Broad knowledge of MOE materials and services as related to freight cars and locomotives.
- Experience with assessing supplier capabilities, request-for-proposal (RFP), evaluating bids, negotiating supply contracts, and executing service agreements.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Jacksonville, Florida, United States