DescriptionThe Real Estate Project Management Lead coordinates or leads construction projects such as developing a new facility; the addition, expansion or extension of an existing facility; or renovation/alterations to a facility in collaboration with project team, construction site and management. The Real Estate Project Management Lead works on problems of diverse scope and complexity ranging from moderate to substantial.
Humana is seeking to find an experienced and seasoned real estate leader to oversee project management services for its diverse 500+ location portfolio. The scope and scale of this role is vast. Candidates must come with a strong leadership background and deep knowledge of how to execute complex construction management including but not limited to interior fit out construction, ground up development, construction of and within clinical, retail, production and critical/data center environments through an outsourced model.
In addition to leading the day-to-day project management of the function, it is expected the new head of Humana’s project management services will also provide the strategic vision for the function – exploring and incorporating industry best practices in sustainable construction, project performance metrics, value engineering, capital planning, and supply chain management. The leader will proactively deliver cost savings initiatives to meet and exceed corporate goals.
It is critical that the leader is skilled in the area of people leadership. The leader should be able to inspire their team to excellence, have a passion for coaching and developing talent, and take a “people/talent first” approach in their leadership style. The individual should be a strong communicator and have the ability to build relationships with other senior leaders across the Humana enterprise. They should understand how to build creditability in a complex organization and use the skill of influence in getting things done. This leader should also be well versed in managing and leading teams that are outsourced to strategic real estate vendor partners as well. They should be very comfortable in managing project management services in an outsourced environment and understand contract structures for these types of operating models.
This leader will also need to work and collaborate with other Workplace functions include Facilities Management, Transactions and Lease Administration, Space and Move Management, Energy & Sustainability, Process Improvement & Governance, Design & Standards, and Business Consulting to ensure outcomes are optimal for all end users and customers.
The leader should be ready to be a “visionary leader” of an insourced and outsourced organization of up to 50 FTE’s and manage a project management budget enterprise wide of up to $200MM.
The leader should also be able to present to large audiences and explain complex project management topics to a variety of individuals and colleagues including and ranging from c-suite level executives, industry experts, local city/state officials, and Humana’s associates. The leader will be expected to network across the industry and bring thought leadership and best practices to this key functional area of Workplace. They will also be expected to attend professional and industry events as an expert in their field.
Some of the requirements of the role include but are not limited to:
- Candidates will have had a successful career showing consistent career progression into roles of increasing responsibility, complexity, and scale.
- Will have experience leading a team of substantial size responsible for all the afore mentioned responsibilities and have a track record of introducing innovation and best practices into all aspects of project and construction management, procedures, and practices.
- Experience in leading a strategic change management re organization focused on outsourcing relationships and service integration.
- Experience managing and working with an array of service providers
- Experience improving performance and service metrics, and significantly reducing costs.
- A person who considers themselves to be an out-of-box thinker.
- A well rounded businessperson who partners effectively with stakeholders and who can earn the respect and trust of peers and members of the senior management team.
- A recognized reputation for inspirational leadership and for getting things done
- Industry knowledge, relationships, and market presence when interfacing outside of Humana.
- A strong focus on metrics, data, and financial results.
- Strong communication skills – both written and oral. A high energy, proactive, dynamic and committed leader who instills passion in both internal and external audiences.
- An absolute attention to detail.
- Unquestioned integrity.
Project Management Operations
- Leverage resources across the enterprise.
- Operate and maintain the health of the project and construction process and the quality of the end product for our associates
- Operate safely and in a compliant manner to support uninterrupted business operations.
- Plan and drive project management sustainment initiatives.
- Manage performance to Key Performance Indicator and Service Level Agreements
- Build of culture of strong relationship management with key leaders across the enterprise
- Provide design input, purpose-built buildings and infrastructure that comply with the principles of economic, social and ecological sustainability.
- Provide input and manage employee health and safety program for project management
- Identify and implement practical and measurable green building design, construction, operations and maintenance solutions.
- Develop process to capture and deliver repeatable cost savings and avoidance opportunities across all projects.
- Develop guiding principles and strategies that document the business priorities/physical requirements in the scoping of projects.
- Implement common tools for forecasting, spending, and reporting project finances
- Develop common contracting strategies and a common interface with Procurement
- Ensure implementation of best safety practices and lessons learned.
- Establish common reporting of safety incidents.
- Establish a common process for pre-qualification of contractors and vendors, through a 3rd party out-source partner.
- Evaluate current resource allocation to assure staff is properly positioned based on their technical capabilities and effectiveness.
- Set training requirements for establishing common tools and processes, and establish job descriptions and qualifications for key roles.
Procurement and Contracts
- Lead initiatives that support facilities outsourcing.
- Industry research and benchmarking to ensure appropriate out sourcing solutions.
- Assist in the establishment of a supplier base and network for outsourcing.
- Develop and support process to help business units transition to an outsourced model.
- Provide oversight and compliance guidance for contract administration.
- Develop and monitor to ensure supplier safety conformance.
- Single point management and oversight for all Humana projects with regards to daily activity related to construction management.
- Implement common project delivery services that allow the organization the ability to operate to their business plan.
- Manage the technical expertise that allows the delivery of projects with optimal service levels
- Manage capital projects and emergency projects in a manner that allows business operations to function without interruptions, and; monitor satisfaction and respond to concerns.
- Define and communicate industry “Best Practice” solutions.
- Must have 10 – 15 + years of experience in Project Management, serving a senior project executive.
- An undergraduate degree mechanical or civil engineering, construction management, or science/technical degree is required.
- An MBA, or masters in engineering degree, is highly desired and strongly preferred.
General Office Demands. Travel required up to 20%.
Scheduled Weekly Hours40