We're changing the way health care works for the better. That means consulting with our members, partnering with our physicians, and delivering drugs in the most efficient and effective way. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Optum’s Patient-Reported Outcomes (PRO) Division (formerly QualityMetric), is committed to improving healthcare through quality measurement in PRO survey design, development, validation, and outcomes analysis and reporting. The group supports customers across the life cycle of drug development for regulatory needs, payers’ needs, and observational studies. We also work with other clinical outcome assessments such as clinician-reported outcomes and observer-reported outcomes. This small team of experienced experts in psychometrics, with backgrounds in cognitive and clinical psychology, sociology, public health, biostatistics, and epidemiology, is based in Johnston, RI, within driving distance from Massachusetts and Connecticut. Our team is collegial and supportive of work-life balance.
We are hiring a Research Scientist with a qualitative research focus. This position will support a broad range of studies aimed to better understand the patient’s experience related to conditions, their treatments, and the healthcare system. This includes (but is not limited to) development of new assessments, modification of existing assessments, and burden of disease studies. Expertise in research design, data collection, and analysis of qualitative data is strongly preferred, as is experience conducting qualitative individual in-depth interviews. Experience moderating focus groups is helpful, but not a prerequisite. Our projects involve research among patients, providers and other stakeholders. Ability to develop presentations, technical reports, and manuscripts is required. Projects range from small, rapid turnover projects to large, multi-phase projects and range across multiple disease areas. The person hired for this position will lead multiple projects, working with a team, and may mentor junior level staff. Strong written and verbal communication skills are required. Experience using qualitative software (such as nVivo or ATLAS) is preferred.
- Designs qualitative research studies, conducts interviews / moderates focus groups, analyzes data, interprets and reports results
- Prepares technical reports, summaries, and protocols
- Prepares and publishes scientific reports and manuscripts
- Prepares for and presents at professional meetings and client-sponsored events, and prepares and publishes associated abstracts
- Maintains substantial knowledge of state-of-the-art theory and application of qualitative research methods and of clinical outcome assessments
- Responsible for all final project deliverables for which s / he is PI in terms of scientific quality and presentation quality, timeliness, and financial project performance
- Interacts with clients, clinical experts, and research support staff to ensure that projects are completed in a timely fashion and in accordance with quality standards
- Manages projects efficiently and effectively within guidelines of company and department standard operating procedures
- Interacts effectively and collegially with all employees, fostering a supportive and cross departmental working environment
- Delegates work as needed, provides supervision and training / mentoring to junior-level staff
- Responsible for a moderate amount of participation in client calls and proposals for business development
- PhD in a relevant field (or Master’s for outstanding candidates with significant experience in field)
- 3+ years post-doctoral experience (or 7+ years with Master’s), prefer direct experience conducting qualitative research in health care and knowledge of survey development and methods
- Direct experience designing and conducting qualitative research studies
- Knowledge in survey development and survey research methods
- Knowledge of qualitative research methods and ability to analyze qualitative research data
- Proven track record of scientific accomplishment, including publication history
- Ability to travel: some travel required to conduct in-person interviews (estimated 5 trips per year at 2-3 days per trip); also one conference attendance per year
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world?s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Qualitative, Healthcare, Survey Research, nVivo, ATLAS, Interview, Johnston, RI, Rhode Island