Assist in the day to day operations of a high volume unit kitchen.
- Apply thorough knowledge of food preparation, including organization of daily specials and banquet/group menu production and maintain food quality through evaluations and guest comments.
- Assist Kitchen Manager through supervision of the kitchen staff in maintaining food costs and food quality.
- Assist in ordering, storage and inventory of all food and kitchen operating supplies and maintain food costs at planned level.
- Assist in training of new employees, with emphasis on employees being promoted from within the kitchen operation.
- Assist in scheduling kitchen personnel, keeping in mind business levels and labor budget.
- Administer corrective action as necessary and approve corrective action administered by other Unit Food & Beverage Management for assigned kitchen personnel.
- Enforce strict ServSafe, HACCP food sanitation program for unit kitchen.
- Conduct temperature checks throughout the shift to ensure food items are in the safe temperature zone(s). Discard any food items found to be in the temperature danger zone.
- Maintain and review shift log on a daily basis.
- Ensure that assigned staff is adhering to risk management procedures such as wearing personal protective equipment, MSDS location and comprehension, ergonomics and slip and fall.
- Project a commitment to Xanterra South Rim’s environmental policies.
- Assist with correcting all National Park Service Concessions and Public Health Service noted discrepancies within the assigned abatement period.
- Assist with conducting annual reviews of all hourly personnel.
- Ensure that all maintenance requests are reported promptly and follow-up on requests.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Three years supervisory or lead cook experience in a high volume ala carte dining or institutional establishment with progressive cooking/menu development.
- Ability to train kitchen positions in all areas of operation, from ala carte preparation/presentation to batch cooking to prep work to entry level kitchen positions; with a goal of advancing staff within the kitchen.
- Proven written and verbal communication skills particularly in regards to training employees.
- Proven interpersonal skills with ability to communicate with F&B Managers, plus front of house personnel and guests.
- Experience in menu development, food production records, scheduling employees and inventory/cost controls.
- Ability to pass ServeSafe food sanitation course and train staff on the program.
- Ability to use computerized food ordering system, and experience with Word and Excel software as well as FoodTrak inventory software.
- Ability to quickly assess productivity levels of the cook line, dish area and pantry personnel during any given meal period.
- Ability to recognize safety hazards, and correct them immediately.
Low-cost in-park housing provided. Discounted meals; Medical/Dental/Vision health plans available; 401K; Drug-free workplace. Employment history verified. Background checks/Drug test required. Xanterra is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities/Woman/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.