The Revenue Protection Analyst is responsible for following all processes and procedures to ensure accurate and timely invoicing is accomplished within the confines of specified deadlines. The Analyst is responsible for researching, analyzing and using facts as the basis for making decisions. In addition, the Analyst must work closely with Regional staff, Operations and Crew to ensure the most accurate data is being used for generating revenue.
- Conducts audits of waybills to ensure accurate capture of revenue and expenses associated with the maneuvers of the operations of the railroad
- Support Customer Service, Revenue, and Automation teams by providing insight and recommendations on possible new and/or adjusted rules for revenue recognition
- Advise and provide remedial recommendations to other departments when waybill, equipment movement history and/or rate discrepancies are identified
- Collaborate with various departments and regional staff to ensure accurate data is captured within our systems to maximize revenue and minimize expense exposure
- Analyze and compare waybill data and car movement history to contracts and public tariffs before making revenue decision and finalizing invoice
- Identify and investigate cars that are sitting idle on railroad property to ensure revenue is captured and car hire expenses are reduced
- Ability to interpret and understand railroad operating procedures and how they affect revenue while also using this expertise to influence improvements that increase and protect revenue
- Responsible for accurate and timely billing of all Class 1 partner freight invoices
- Determine and correct operations data as needed; in particular contacting operating personnel regarding interchange location adjustments
- Must be up to date on all roads operations in particular where interchanges and customer activity is in question
- Responsible for accurate and timely billing of accessorial customer charges.
- Research with Operations, tariff rates, etc.
- Adjust billing with Customer and other departments
- Review charges generated and work with Operations to verify operations did in fact perform the chargeable event
- Inform Operations of various incorrect moves and charges done by train crews
- Apply charges omitted by operations or due to customer activity that would result in additional operating expense and thus billable charges
- Responsible for accepting complaints/concerns from internal and external customers and then researching and resolving those components prior to invoice production
- Communication with customers, marketing, operations and other departments as needed.
- Review service exceptions with operations team and adjust billing appropriately
- Oversight of operating practices in TMS to allow for billing to be processed and calculated correctly
- Manage invoicing within area of responsibility
- Specific revenue items may include Demurrage, Storage, Freight and Accessorial charges
- Detailed knowledge of operations on each railroad to allow for proper review of charges that could be generated as a result of those operations
- Other projects and duties as assigned by Supervisor
- Prior experience in the Accounting or Railroad field.
- Must possess strong organizational skills, be detailed oriented and a self-starter.
- Must be analytical and able to perform research
- Ability to manage multiple tasks under restricted time elements.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Knowledge of Great Plains Accounting System a plus.
- Knowledge of RMI/GE RailConnect a plus.
- Basic knowledge of Accounting Rules/Terminology a plus
- Occasional travel up to 10%
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant work experience and/or training preferred
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Jacksonville, Florida, United States