We're changing the way health care works for the better. That means consulting with our members, partnering with our physicians, and delivering drugs in the most efficient and effective way. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
A Senior Analyst / Programmer in the Health Economics and Outcomes Research Division of OptumInsight, an Optum Company, will work with claims data, and other sources of retrospective and prospective data. The SA-P is responsible for data cleaning, merging data from multiple files, applying project-specific inclusion/exclusion criteria, coding project-specific variables, and producing subject-level datasets for researchers to analyze further. The Senior Analyst / Programmer will also participate in research infrastructure projects and testing of new data and analysis platforms, and will act as a data consultant for the researchers.
- Programming for research studies (75%) may include (but are not limited to)
- Responsibility for claims data extract and programming for required variables and creating analytic datasets by using multiple data files from different sources
- Executing descriptive and multivariate analysis.
- Creating tables and reports
- Communicating with project teams issues in programming and analysis in a timely manner and discussing with Analyst and Researcher for possible solutions
- Data management and cleaning of survey and chart results for primary data collection studies
- Complete project analysis and programming documentation according to department standards
- Work within budgeted project hours and report progress back to project manager
- Providing consultation for researchers for data features and application
- Infrastructure projects (20%) may include (but are not limited to)
- Exploring new data analysis platforms, including procuring access to and determining processes for use
- Researching and applying new analysis techniques, including NLP, predictive modeling and machine learning
- Developing / maintaining standard programs for the department standard library, with a focus on making project code available for re-use.
- Monitoring new data being incorporated into the ORD –our research data source- as well as other data sources within the larger organization
- Contributing to the development of the department .NET intranet
- Documentation and training (5%) may include (but are not limited to)
- Participation in maintenance of group documentation and review with new employees
- Training new employees on data platforms and applications used by the department
- A Master's Degree in Data Science, Biostatistics, Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science, Theoretical Physics, Quantitative Social Sciences, Statistics, Health Services Research, Information Systems, or Bachelor's Degree with 3+ relevant experience.
- 3 - 5 years of statistical programming experience or equivalent experience in performing analysis, reporting and data modeling: SAS, R or Python.
- 1+ years experience managed care/health care/pharmaceutical claims or electronic health record data
- 1+ years experience with additional statistical software (R, Python or Tableau)
- 1+ years SQL skills and experience in multiple database environments (MS SQL, Oracle, Teradata)
- Experience working in a cloud computing environment (Microsoft Azure or AWS) or with big data infrastructure (Hadoop, Spark)
- Additional programming languages (VB/VBA, .NET, C#, UNIX)
- Must be able to execute multi-step data management tasks to extract and merge data across platforms, recognize technical problems and solve with some supervision
- Must be able to proactively problem-solve and perform most tasks with minimal supervision
- Must be able to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical co-workers
- Must be able to meet timelines in a fast-paced team-oriented environment with competing priorities
- Must be able to provide mentoring of junior staff in certain aspects
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world?s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.SM
For more information on our Internal Job Posting Policy, click here.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job keywords: SAS, R, Python, Tableau, Azure, AWS, Hadoop, Spark, SQL, C#, Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota