Work is Sweet!
'Quality without Compromise' is not just a motto at See's Candies. It is the most important ingredient in our recipe for success. See's Candies has been in business since 1921 and maintains a reputation for producing the highest quality candy and providing superior customer service.
See's is a leader in the confectionary industry with over 250 retail shops across the USA.
At See’s Candies the key ingredient to our success is the dedication of our employees. It’s thanks to their passion and commitment that we remain a customer favorite, maintaining quality and integrity in all aspects of our business. The Senior Buyer of Packaging has the unique opportunity to contribute their talent, energy and ideas as we make life a little sweeter, one piece of candy at a time.
The position will manage multiple packaging categories to support the production, marketing, and sale of finished products. The role will own all aspects of category management, including strategic sourcing, ensuring supply, supplier relationship management, forecasting, and delivery of cost savings.
- Responsible for the purchase of multiple categories of packaging items, as assigned by Procurement Management, in accordance with department and company rules, regulations, procedures and objectives.
- Act as the primary contact for suppliers and internal partners for all assigned categories. Includes working with suppliers and relevant See’s departments on the resolution of quality issues and other issues/projects pertaining to assigned packaging materials.
- Develop category strategies that include strategic sourcing timelines. Develop contingency plans to ensure we have multiple supply options to support our manufacturing and marketing needs. Identify and qualify new suppliers as necessary. Hold all suppliers accountable through our Supplier Relationship Management Program.
- For key suppliers and categories, develop and negotiate contract agreements to cover supply requirements.
- When appropriate, manage spend through RFX process, including the ownership of the bid package development, analysis, and recommendation presentation.
- Process purchase orders and contracts in an automated ERP purchasing system. Maintain accurate purchase, price, and total cost data on applicable company systems. Assist in the resolution of paperwork discrepancies with Accounting and Shipping departments, and as required with the Supplier. Track all deviations and rejections for specified packaging items in a timely manner.
- Participate in the control of obsolete and aged inventory, including the analysis of inventory liabilities.
- Develop risk management strategies and coverage recommendations within the framework of See’s company objectives, paired with the monitoring and analysis of commodity market activities.
- Facilitate and/or participate on cross-functional teams as needed to meet company objectives, support ongoing business process, or explore opportunities.
- Identify and execute cost savings initiatives that support the overall department goal. Partner with suppliers to continually improve quality, price, and service.
- Ensure suppliers are compliant with all of See’s required documentation.
- Maintain continual communication with other departments regarding seasonal line planning, line changes, and scheduling of incoming orders for specific products.
- Participate with See’s QA team in Supplier Facility Audits for key Suppliers.
- Provide Procurement Management with all required documentation to support purchase recommendations; obtain proper approvals prior to purchase.Ensure overall compliance with See’s Procurement policies and procedures.
- Coordinate and complete special projects as assigned by Procurement Management.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.Emphasis in Business/Supply Chain preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of buying experience.
- Working knowledge of a variety of printing methods.Ability to understand packaging structure and functionality.Understanding of packaging substrates and their underlying market dynamics.
- Solid understanding of Supply Chain functionality, including Manufacturing, Logistics, and Distribution.
- Working knowledge of contract law, government policies and regulations for the food industry.
- Strong negotiation skills, both externally with suppliers and internally across departments.
- Demonstrated initiative with the ability to work independently and articulate sound business recommendations.
- Lead change – ability to implement improvements in current processes through collaborative engagement with suppliers and internal partners.
- Detail-oriented; proven analytical skills.
- Ability to multi-task in fast paced environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to define improvement opportunities, collect data, validate facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, and Power Point.Ability to understand and work with multiple enterprise-wide systems.
- Experience in the Retail sector is preferred.
- 10-20% travel is required.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
See's is an EOE
See’s will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state or federal law (including San Francisco Ordinance #131192 and Los Angeles Municipal Code 189.00).