Optum’s Patient-Reported Outcomes (PRO) Division (formerly QualityMetric), is committed to improving healthcare through quality measurement in PRO survey design, development, validation, and outcomes analysis and reporting. The group supports customers across the life cycle of drug development for regulatory needs, payers’ needs, and observational studies. We also work with other clinical outcome assessments such as clinician-reported outcomes and observer-reported outcomes. This small team of experienced experts in psychometrics, with backgrounds in cognitive and clinical psychology, sociology, public health, biostatistics, and epidemiology, is based in Johnston, RI, within driving distance from Massachusetts and Connecticut. Our team is mostly office-based and we promote a collegial atmosphere and a strong work-life balance.
We are hiring a Senior Outcomes Research Associate with a qualitative research focus. This position will support a broad range of studies aimed to better understand the patient’s experience related to conditions, their treatments, and the healthcare system. This includes (but is not limited to) investigating the content validation of surveys and other outcome assessments, modification of existing assessments, and exploratory burden of disease studies. Expertise in research design, data collection, and analysis of qualitative data is strongly preferred, as is experience conducting qualitative individual in-depth interviews. Experience moderating focus groups is helpful, but not a prerequisite. Our projects involve research among patients, providers and other stakeholders. Ability to develop presentations, technical reports, and manuscripts is required. The person hired for this position will assist the project lead scientist in development of project materials, primary qualitative data collection (conducting interviews), and coding and analyzing qualitative data. Strong written and verbal communication skills are required. Experience using qualitative software (such as nVivo or ATLAS) is preferred. Candidate should independently work on assignments with indirect supervision from senior staff.
- Conducts literature searches
- Supports and assists scientists in qualitative research study design and development of study materials such as protocols and interview guides
- Conducts qualitative in-depth interviews; moderates focus groups
- Analyzes and interprets data from interviews and focus groups
- Assist in preparation of study deliverables, including reports, manuscripts, posters and presentations
- Prepares for and presents at professional meetings and client-sponsored events, and prepares and publishes associated abstracts
- Assumes responsibility for completing tasks in a given timeline and in accordance with quality standards
- Follows company and department standard operating procedures
- Interacts effectively and collegially with all employees, fostering a supportive and cross departmental sharing environment
Master’s degree in a relevant field or Bachelor’s degree accepted with exceptional experience
2+ years qualitative research experience
Experience designing and conducting qualitative research studies; knowledge of qualitative research methods and ability to analyze qualitative research data
Ability to analyze qualitative research data
Ability to travel 2 - 3 days per trip per month to conduct interviews
- Use of qualitative analytic software, such as NVivo
- Qualitative interview skills are required, and experience with concept elicitation and cognitive debriefing interviews
- Strong work ethic, ability to work independently, and demonstrated organizational skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills: conveys messages clearly, accurately and concisely; work requires few clarifications/editions
- Ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional team environment
- Proven track record in meeting timelines and ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- Self-starter who can creatively problem-solve, make decisions, and take initiative to lead and drive projects to completion
- Strong integrity, follows ethical research standards
- Demonstrates commitment, dedication, cooperation, positive behavior, adaptability and flexibility with changes in responsibilities and duties
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world?s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Qualitative, NVivo, Research Studies, Outcomes, Johnston, RI, Rhode Island