H&R Block, the world’s leader in tax preparation services, is looking for a Senior Paralegal to provide legal assistance to the Employment and Litigation Group. Under the direction of a lawyer, you will resolve routine legal matters utilizing previous experience and judgment.
About H&R Block…
People are often surprised when they begin working here. Maybe it's because the company founded by two brothers in 1955 still has the feeling of a family, or it could be our high-ambition employees who believe in our purpose and core values. Our mission is simple. We look at your life through tax, and we find ways to help, but the work we do here is so much more than that. By saving our customers money, we create confidence in their lives so they can do more for their families and communities. That is something to feel great about!
You can begin to get a feel for our company culture by understanding our core Block Behaviors: Customer Centric, Curious, Creative, Straight-Forward, Determined, Passionate, and Better Together. Our leadership is accessible and our team is welcoming and collaborative. We value our employees unique and diverse perspectives and offer a career with opportunities for continued growth and development.
More about the role…
- Responsible for coordinating the Company’s response to discrimination charges, including EEOC and local agencies, wage claims and other administrative agency complaints.
- Provide paralegal support with respect to various employment and restrictive covenant agreements.
- Provide paralegal support for employment litigation, including arbitrations and single plaintiff cases.
- Provide paralegal support for employee benefits matters.
- Responsible for reviewing and responding to employment records subpoenas.
- Responsible for ensuring the effective utilization of outside counsel.
- Responsible for legal research and analysis.
- Assist in preparation of various legal reports and updates.
- Assist with department administrative functions as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree plus completion of paralegal certificate from an ABA-approved program, or other relevant combination of education and experience.
- At least five years of experience as a paralegal.
- Knowledge of general principles of law, especially in the area of employment law.
- Proficient legal research skills including the ability to conduct computerized and Internet-based research.
- Strong attention to detail and analytical skills.
- Ability to take on substantive work with limited supervision and demonstrated ability to work independently on a variety of projects and tasks.
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills with an emphasis on writing skills.
- Understanding and previous use of a Windows-based computer system and proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience using case management software and electronic document management systems.
Preferred: Eight years of experience as a paralegal, with the majority of experience working in the area of employment law or experience working in a corporate legal department.