Optum’s Patient Insights Division (formerly QualityMetric) is committed to improving healthcare through quality measurement. We support customers interested in understanding the health of the patient. This includes many types of studies, for example, survey development, modification, and validation to support medical product or device development for regulatory needs, observational studies, outcomes analysis, and qualitative approaches to understanding the burden or burden of disease or for content validation of surveys. Projects can be either customer funded or internally funded, and range in size from from small, rapid turnover projects to large, multi-phase projects and range across multiple disease areas. This small team of experts has backgrounds in cognitive and clinical psychology, sociology, public health, biostatistics, and epidemiology, and is based in Johnston, Rhode Island, within driving distance from Massachusetts and Connecticut. Our team is collegial and supportive of work-life balance.
We are hiring a Senior Scientist to play a key role in leading the qualitative team of scientists and analysts. This position will support a broad range of studies aimed to better understand the patient’s experience related to conditions, their treatments, and the healthcare system. Expertise in the design and implementation of qualitative research, including analysis and interpretation of findings is required. Experience conducting in-depth individual interviews for concept elicitation and for cognitive debriefing is required and experience moderating focus groups is strongly preferred. Strong writing skills that consider the intended audience is required, as is experience producing scientific presentations, technical reports, and manuscripts for publication. The person hired for this position will lead multiple team-based projects, will supervise or mentor junior level staff, and will assist in developing team best practices and training materials. Strong written and verbal communication skills are required. Experience using qualitative software (such as nVivo or ATLAS) is required. Typically, 60% of time is expected to be on billable projects, with remaining time spent in business development and scientific and team development.
- Oversees a large portfolio of projects, including overseeing technical and scientific approaches for project and product development
- Responsible for substantial business development
- Provide senior guidance, as well as supervision and training/mentoring, to junior-level staff
- Designs qualitative research studies, conducts interviews/moderates focus groups, analyzes data, interprets, and reports results
- Delegates project workload to team members and manages team members assigned project work
- Prepares and publishes scientific reports and manuscripts
- Prepares for and presents at professional meetings and client-sponsored events, and prepares and publishes associated abstracts
- Maintains substantial knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theory, as well as current science literature
- Responsible for all final project deliverables for which s/he is PI in terms of scientific quality and presentation quality, timeliness, and financial project performance
- Interacts with clients, clinical experts, and research support staff to ensure that projects are completed in a timely fashion and in accordance with quality standards
- Manages projects efficiently and effectively within guidelines of company and department standard operating procedures
- Interacts effectively and collegially with all employees, fostering a supportive and cross departmental working environment
PhD in a relevant field with 8+ years post-doctoral experience OR Master’s Degree with 12+ years of post-doctoral experience
Experience designing and conducting qualitative research in health care
Ability to design and implement qualitative research studies
Qualitative interview skills and experience conducting concept elicitation and cognitive debriefing interviews
Knowledge of Survey development; qualitative research methods
Ability to analyze qualitative research data
Proven track record of scientific accomplishment, including publication history
- Ability to provide thoughtful feedback on junior team members work, and foster growth through mentoring and training
- Strong work ethic, ability to work independently, and demonstrated organizational skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills: conveys messages clearly, accurately and concisely; work requires few clarifications/editions
- Ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional team environment
- Proven track record in meeting timelines and ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- Self-starter who can creatively problem-solve, make decisions, and take initiative to lead and drive projects to completion
- Strong integrity, follows ethical research standards
- Demonstrates commitment, dedication, cooperation, positive behavior, adaptability and flexibility with changes in responsibilities and duties
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world?s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Qualitative, Research, Healthcare, Scientific, Manage, Lead, Telecommute, work from home