Each year Scholastic Book Fairs, in partnership with schools across the country, hosts more than 130,000 book fair events that give more than 35 million students and their families access to thousands of affordable and educational products, helping foster a lifelong love of reading.
We are currently in search of a Full Time Shipping/Receiving Clerk to help our facilities process incoming and outgoing shipments of book product and support our Warehouse staff by coordinating key functions to ensure we produce and deliver quality book fairs.
This full time position offers medical, dental and vision benefits, Paid Time Off, a generous 50% off discount on Scholastic merchandise, and 401k. Join our Company’s mission to encourage reading and promote lifelong learning, and demonstrate our values of caring and respect for all people!
Successful candidates will have prior power equipment/forklift experience or be willing and able to train to operate this equipment.
- Process incoming and outgoing shipments of book product, marketing materials, and corrugation for the Branch.
- Manually consolidate outbound fair components in the Fair Finishing department.
- Perform all outbound Quality Assurance (QA) Scanning activities.
- Perform random spot-audits of outbound fair components to ensure accuracy.
- Assist in the picking and packing of customer reorders
- Demonstrate the ability to scan all outbound customer reorders via CIS.
- Demonstrate the ability to scan all outbound customer reorders via UPS Worldship.
- Assist branch management with special projects as needed.
- Ensure condition of all outbound cases, boxes, and displays are clean, safe, and in good condition.
- Ensure that your work area is neat, clean, safe, and organized at all times.
- Individually, and in partnership with other co-workers, perform seasonal inventory production-line resets.
- When applicable, assist in the loading and unloading of trucks. The loading and unloading of trucks may or may not require the assistance of mechanical devices.
- Participate and assist in Physical Inventory functions, including the counting of inventory.
- Participate and assist in conducting Customer Appreciation Warehouse Sale Events.
- Responsible for the careful handling of all merchandise at all times.
- Ensure that all warehouse equipment and tools are properly utilized to increase productivity, efficiency, and safety; report any unsafe conditions, damaged equipment or injury (to self or co-worker) to your supervisor or manager immediately.
- Utilize proper techniques for lifting, packing, and handling heavy objects, climbing ladders and pushing/pulling display cases.
- May operate motorized pallet jacks upon successful completion of the SBF power equipment training program.
- Maintain attendance and punctuality as required by assigned work schedule and within company standards.
- Maintain a courteous and positive relationship with all co-workers and customers.
- Drug and alcohol free policy compliance.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High School Diploma or GED Certificate preferred.
- Ability to demonstrate basic product scanner proficiency (i.e., ordering replenishment) effectively with minimal errors.
- Strong team player and the ability to get along with co-workers.
- Good verbal/written communication skills, basic math skills, and ability to read documents in English, such as safety rules, operating instructions and procedure manuals.
- Forklift experience is a plus (If certified – must be at least 18 years of age).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to lift boxes that weigh up to 50 lbs occasionally on a daily basis.
- Must be able to lift boxes that weigh up to 30 lbs to a height of 70” occasionally on a daily basis.
- Must be able to push wheeled cases, which may weigh in excess of 300 lbs, with an initial force of up to 50 lbs and a sustained force of up to 30 lbs.
- Must be able to stand, reach above and below the shoulders, squat, bend and kneel as necessary to perform the job.
- Must be able to tolerate work in a non-air conditioned environment.
- Must be able to accurately follow specific instructions for multiple detailed assembly processes.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.