Do you want to make a positive impact on the lives of children and adolescents? If so, you could become a part of a team creating meaningful, independent and productive lives for those individuals that we serve.
Being a Special Education Teacher has its Advantages
As a Special Education Teacher at Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health, you will work with other dedicated professionals who share your passion for helping individuals in need. We offer:
- Greater autonomy and flexibility with teaching plans; fewer state mandates
- Assignment of a teacher’s assistant to your classroom to help maintain the physical, emotional well-being and safety of all students.
- Classrooms equipped with SMART boards and educational learning supplies.
- Teacher Loan Forgiveness eligibility - click here to learn more.
- Unique programs that go beyond basic academic curriculum, such as: art therapy, animal care therapy, yoga, drama, life-skills and more.
Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health Florida provides programs and services for children and adolescents who face significant emotional, behavioral and intellectual/developmental challenges. Located in Viera, FL, this position is responsible for:
- Teaching Reading and Secondary Science in a small class size
- Communicates course content clearly and effectively to students
- Demonstrates mastery of subject matter
- Providing intensive services to children and adolescents (6-17 years of age) within a four to six month treatment period
- Comprehensive therapeutic approach in which service delivery is based on the individual needs of the client and their family
- Clients have issues relating to emotional, behavioral, and psychological problems due to histories of physical abuse and/or sexual abuse, neglect, abandonment, unresolved trauma or psychological conditions that hinder them from functioning in a family environment.
About Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health
Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health is one of the largest and most advanced behavioral healthcare organizations in the country. Informed by the latest advancements in science and medicine, we combine evidence-based interventions with compassionate family engagement to help change lives. We were founded in 1912 by special education pioneer, Helena Devereux. Today, Devereux is a national nonprofit partner for individuals, families, schools and communities, serving many of the most vulnerable members of our society in areas of autism, intellectual and developmental disabilities, specialty mental health, and child welfare.
Our Mission: Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health changes lives – by unlocking and nurturing human potential for people living with emotional, behavioral or cognitive differences.
We employ more than 7,500 staff and operate 15 centers in 13 states. We offer a comprehensive national network of clinical, therapeutic, educational, and employment programs and services that positively impact the lives of tens of thousands of children, adults and their families every year.
Our Culture, Our Expectations
At Devereux, we strive to incorporate servant leadership into our culture and every aspect of our organizational framework; from the delivery of quality services to individuals served, their families, and other stakeholders to the development and empowerment of our employees. We offer challenging and exciting work, and our supportive team environment creates an empowering and positive atmosphere. To be successful in our work environment, you will put the needs of others first, and will feel called to serve, and called to lead.
Competitive Salary and Benefits
In addition to a competitive salary, Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health provides a comprehensive health and wellness program to eligible full-time employees, family members and domestic partners. Our health and wellness programs include medical (including medical care via phone, web, app), dental, prescription drug, preventative care, mental health services and an employee assistance / work-life balance program. In addition, we offer tuition assistance, generous time-off and a 403(b) retirement plan with matching benefit, along with voluntary/employee paid vision, supplemental life and accident coverage to full-time employees.
Click here to see why we are a great place to work: http://benefits.devereux.org.
Keywords: teacher, special education, education, classroom management, special needs students, mental health, mentor
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four year university
- Florida Educator Certificate (Elementary Ed oand ESE Preferred) or current Status of Eligibility required.
- Must be able to complete a two week new hire orientation class; hours are approximately 9:00am.to 5:00pm each day.
- Minimim of three years experience working with Emotional Behavioral Disability students is preferred.
- Valid driver’s license.