BJ's Wholesale Club was the first retailer to introduce the warehouse club concept in the northeastern United States. Today, we’re a multibillion dollar operation with more than 200 clubs in 16 states from Maine to Florida.
While our Members know us for helping them save up to 25% off grocery prices every day, our Team Members love us for providing a supportive and engaging workplace that’s committed to developing great talent.
If you’re a motivated and enthusiastic person who enjoys working collaboratively and is committed to providing great service for our Members, we want to hear from you. BJ’s offers a fast-paced, team environment with great training opportunities and competitive salary and benefits packages to help you succeed.
This position is the lead role for handling the Company’s General Liability insurance litigation. The incumbent must successfully oversee and coordinate management of a large caseload of claims in which BJ’s has been named as a defendant. To be successful in this role, strong claims handling and Counsel management skills are a necessary requirement. Additionally, this position provides guidance to junior level claims specialist using experience as the model. The Senior Claims Specialist must also attend trials, depositions, mediations and other similar proceedings representing BJ’s interests and goals, so travel is required.
- Oversee and manage a Third-Party Administrator’s investigation of litigated general liability claims to identify and mitigate BJ’s exposure through determining the course of action that will result in the most effective management of BJs financial resources.
- Provide direction to a Third-Party Administrator on non-litigated general liability claims to assure a thorough and timely investigation occurs for the purpose of preparing the claim for future litigation thereby optimizing the goal of a proper defense.
- Identify claim trends and make recommendations to Claims Manager and Director, Risk Management & Insurance for the purpose of decreasing the frequency of our claims.
- Coordinate with a Third-Party Administrator and direct defense counsel on all claims and use of litigation guidelines to ensure an efficient use of BJ’s resources.
- Assist in identifying, locating and producing investigative materials and/or relevant discovery documents.
- Any other task that is deemed necessary by the Claims Manager or Director, Risk and Insurance.
- Extensive general and product liability claim experience
- Extensive knowledge of and familiarity handling litigated claims
- Effective and persuasive communication skills
- A high level of comfort in directing defense counsel and other positions of authority
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential
- Superior negotiation skills
- Minimum Education- at least one of the following: paralegal certification or undergraduate degree or insurance designation
- Minimum Experience- 7 years Property & Casualty claims or paralegal experience
- Preferred Experience- 10 years Property & Casualty claims or paralegal experience
BJ's Wholesale Club is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all qualified team members and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, physical and/or mental disability, genetic information, atypical cellular or blood trait, marital and/or familial status, pregnancy, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.