No industry is moving faster than health care. And no organization is better positioned to lead health care forward. We need attention to every detail with an eye for the points no one has considered. The rewards for performance are significant. You'll help improve the health of millions. And you'll do your life's best work.(sm)
The Financial Operations Senior Consultant supports the consulting and operations teams by collecting, researching and analyzing data related to physician practice and health system operations and positioning them for operational improvement and revenue growth. This information is provided to Finance, Medical Directors, and Senior Management both internally and to the clients. This position is responsible for maintaining databases, performing financial analyses and reporting in order to provide management with accurate and timely financial information needed to make decisions which will be most advantageous for the organization, operationally and economically. In broad terms the Financial Operations Senior Consultant quantifies current financial and operational performance, benchmarks physician productivity, compensation and other key performance areas, analyses reimbursement impacts, develops Pro Forma Financial Models and quantifies the financial impact of performance improvement recommendations. The successful candidate will have expertise in manipulating data using Excel, Access and other database tools, coordinating team work products, and the ability to work in a team environment. The job responsibilities may vary depending upon each client engagement.
Our current opportunity is available in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Review financial accounting statements of the historical annual performance of the employed physician enterprise by specialty or division.
- Provide benchmark comparisons of current performance with industry best practice.
- Review the existing income statement structure and evaluate operating expense detail and make a determination around appropriate cost allocation methods and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Prepare a comparative analysis for physician productivity, collections, and compensation.
- Quantify potential financial opportunity measured by the strict interpretation of gaps between gross production and compensation or collections balanced by the findings from the practice operations, patient access, and revenue cycle analysis.
- Analyze "provider-based" vs office reimbursement.
- Develop financial pro forma – inclusive of a consolidated P&L, balance sheet and cash flow – to analyze the projected costs and/or new revenue streams associated with a merger or acquisition.
- Develop multiple, nimble scenarios for physician compensation models.
- 4+ years of professional experience in accounting/finance or experience in a medical group setting
- Proven understanding of patient accounting
- Ability to gather and present data, including document review and quality control of data entry activities
- Proficient within the Microsoft Office Suite
- Demonstrated ability to quickly identify the financial aspects of a given situation
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize the financial implications of any possible decision into pragmatic recommendations
- Knowledge of the healthcare industry, especially healthcare payers and/or providers
- Excellent analytical skills - problem solving, financial analyses, basic knowledge and understanding of statistics
- Advanced data management abilities including manipulating data in PowerPoint, Excel, Access and other analytical tools
- Able and willing to travel nationally up to 40% of the time for business as needed
Preferred Qualifications:A Bachelor's Degree in finance or accounting Financial Analysis, Medical Group Operations, Benchmarking, Forecasting, Payer Analysis, Compensation Plan Management experience Healthcare Provider experience and/or previous healthcare operations consulting experience Certificate in Public Accountancy Experience with managing a business office operation in a turnaround situation or through a conversion Previous experience working within a large integrated complex health system environment Ability to work effectively with physicians, administrative staff and employees at all organizational levels Experience making difficult, sometimes unpopular, decisions in the face of adversity
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: OptumConsulting, Nashville, TN, optuminsightconsulting