Let’s talk about meaningful work, an important role and a career move that can transform your future. At WellMed, now part of Optum and the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, we focus on prevention and the complete coordination of care for our patients. Join us and you’ll be part of a team dedicated to patient-centered, safe and effective health care. Your skills and talents will make an important impact on our patients while you open doors for yourself that simply do not exist in any other organization.
- Performs all duties at the expert level within the scope of a Medical Assistant’s scope of practice. Operates diagnostic equipment (cannot interpret tests), remove staples from superficial wounds, changes wound dressing and obtains cultures, administers non intravenous medication performs simple specimen collection via noninvasive techniques and collects blood specimens via venipuncture or via capillary, performs EKGs. Performs quality control checks on equipment. Prepares and sterilizes medical equipment using the autoclave
- Records patient care documentation in the medical record accurately and in a timely manner. Identifies when other MA’s documentation is incorrect and alerts clinic leadership
- Trains and mentors other MAs, including assisting with documentation questions
- Coordinates patient care as directed by provider and policies/procdures
- Respects patient confidentiality at all times. Ensures others are also respecting patient confidentiality
- Organizes exam and treatment rooms, stocks and cleans rooms and sterilizes instruments. Gathers supplies as per provider direction. Ensures that supplies are available, stock is inventoried, log data is accurate and supplies are rotated. Follows up with discrepancies
- Creates and maintains an environment that supports infection prevention
- Telephone and in-person screening limited to intake and gathering of information without requiring the exercise of judgment based on clinical knowledge
- Supports and follows Standard Delegation of Orders
- Promotes a positive work environment in which team members willingly serve each other
- Ensures that all MAs are aware of training they must receive to continually improve performance
- Performs all other related duties as assigned
This position requires up to 60% travel throughout the state of Florida. Position will be onsite at 500 N Westshore Blvd. Tampa, FL 33609 when not traveling.
- High school diploma or GED
- 5+ years of experience as a Medical Assistant
- Current, valid nationally recognized Medical Assistant Certification or ability to obtain within 180 days of hire
- Current CPR and/or BLS certification or ability to obtain within 30 days of hire
- Knowledge of medical terminology
This position requires Tuberculosis screening as well as proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis through lab confirmation of immunity, documented evidence of vaccination, or a doctor’s diagnosis of disease
- 1+ year of lead or supervisory experience
- Bilingual (English & Spanish)
Physical & Mental Requirements:
- Ability to lift, push or pull >35 lbs. with assistance
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use fine motor skills to operate equipment and/or machinery
- Ability to receive and comprehend instructions verbally and/or in writing
- Ability to use logical reasoning for simple and complex problem solving
- Occasionally requires exposure to communicable diseases or bodily fluids
- Ability to discriminate shades of color when reading dipstick
If the hired individual resides in Florida (office based or telecommuting) this position requires the AHCA Level II background check (fingerprinting) by the State of Florida for all clinicians that have direct face to face contact with members OR employees who will have access to confidential patient data and will require renewal every five years.
Transforming health care and millions of lives starts with the values you embrace and the passion you bring. Find out more and join us. It’s an every day opportunity to do to achieve your life’s best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Senior Medical Assistant, Sr. MA, Sr. Medical Assistant, CMA, Certified Medical Assistant, Travel, training, lead, supervisor, phlebotomy, Tampa, Largo, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Lutz, Brandon, FL, Florida