POSITION TITLE: Sr. Property Tax Accountant
REPORTS TO: Manager -- Property Tax
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Responsible for the property tax related functions of all the company-owned restaurants. This includes, but is not limited to, supporting the preparation and filing of personal property tax returns, coordinating the payment of all related real and personal property tax bills, supporting all personal property tax audits, assisting with real and personal property tax appeals, supporting Company initiatives (such as acquisitions, dispositions, etc.), reviewing lease agreements for accurate property tax billing, maintaining the property tax matrices, and ensuring that the related tax records/files are maintained. The overall objective of this position is to ensure that the Company is in compliance with all applicable state, local, and foreign tax requirements for both real and personal property tax while minimizing the Company's property tax burden.
- Return Preparation. Analyze and reconcile fixed asset data from the tax books and records for filing purposes. Work with Fixed Asset and Tax Fixed Asset teams to ensure that the fixed asset data is complete and correct. Ensure that the Co-Sourcing Firm is provided with all the fixed asset data and that all the fixed asset data is properly classified with a clear audit trail. Review all required personal property tax returns for company-owned locations prepared by the Co-Sourcing Firm. Ensure that all property is being reported to jurisdictions in the most tax efficient manner. Conduct research as necessary and document taxability, valuation questions, audit information, tax rates, leasing data and jurisdictional information. Ensure the returns are filed in a timely manner and in compliance with all applicable state, local and foreign tax requirements.
- Process Property Tax Bills. Assist the Co-Sourcing Firm with the property tax statements, bills, and valuation notices and ensure that the property tax bills have been received and are correct for all parcels. Ensure that all bills are paid timely. Monitor new store openings, new properties acquired, and new locations. And ensure same are effectively integrated into property tax filings and processes. Make recommendations for improved processes to enhance efficiencies.
- Real Estate Valuations. Analyze property assessments and valuation notices received for reasonableness. Coordinate with the Tax Accountant the distribution of notices to the consultants. Review valuations with the consultants to determine if an appeal or protest is warranted. Assist consultants with the preparation of the required protest. Provide support as needed throughout the protest or appeal process. Ensure that the protests are timely filed and tracked. Track results achieved on the appeals and report accomplishments to the Manager periodically. Prepare Income and Expense requests as required.
- Audit Assistance. Assist the Co-Sourcing Firm with audits of personal property tax returns when initiated by a jurisdiction. Provide data as requested and defend the filing positions taken. Negotiate for favorable resolution of the audit. Track all open audits in accordance with Tax Department policies and procedures. Alert senior management of all areas of risk and expected exposure upon discovery. Prepare required FASB 5 memorandum and documentation for reserve issues.
- Business Advisory Services. Gather information to respond to internal requests for property tax information from other departments such as from Lease Management, Legal, and Mergers & Acquisitions Departments. Support Accounting with data for accruals and account reconciliations. Coordinate with the Lease Management Department regarding property tax bills and payments for leased and subleased properties. Provide tax information as requested.
Minimum requirements include a Bachelor's Degree in Business, Accounting, Management, Real Estate or Finance or accounting coursework coupled with significant property tax experience in a large corporate environment. A Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Real Estate is preferred. A CMI-Property Tax is a plus.
At least 2 years of property tax experience is required and 4 - 7 years is preferred.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS or ABILITIES:
- Excellent computer systems skills including experience with accounting and tax software and MS Office software
- Knowledge of technical tax concepts
- Knowledge of accounting principles
- Project management skills and time management skills
- Attention to detail
- Financial analysis skills
- Organizational skills
- Effective written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, including listening skills
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to work in a team environment with collaboration
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Must conduct himself/herself in a professional, respectful and appropriate manner at all times with the highest integrity
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, OR ABILITIES:
- Experience with Oracle
- Experience with a Property Tax Software
- Strong tax technical knowledge and skills in property tax area
- Strong business judgment and decision-making skills
- Effective planning skills, short term and long term
- Innovation and creativity
This position has the authority to initiate process-oriented decisions relative to their assigned responsibilities for personal and real property taxes, technical decisions as to taxability and reporting issues as well as planning ideas/suggestions for the minimization of the property tax burden or the improvement of cash flow.
This position has no direct reports to supervise or manage.