If you are looking for a way to help others, while you put your billing or customer service skills to good use, this may be the career for you. As a leader of one of our medical collections teams, ensuring that we communicate, persuade and convey payment urgency is critical to the overall success of our company. Your work will not only impact the bottom line, but it will also make a difference in the lives of our customers, greatly reducing their financial burden. This is no small opportunity. This is your life's best work.
In the role of Supervisor of Medical Collections, you will lead a team that is responsible for contacting and consulting with patients of family members regarding the payment of medical bills. Your role will include the selection and hiring of new team members, training of your team and insuring that all policies and procedures are being followed correctly. Balancing both customer and employee needs along with recovering payments is the key to being a successful supervisor/manager in this division.
This function is responsible for insurance premium collections. Positions in this function contact customers to determine reason for payment delinquency. They also negotiate and advise on collection of overdue bills and take appropriate action to recover overdue payments. This position handles unresolved inquiries / issues. Also responsible for developing, implementing, maintaining and managing organization policies on collection practices. May work with outside legal counsel and / or outside agencies in more complex collection cases. Coordinates, supervises and is accountable for the daily activities of business support, technical or production team or unit. The impact of work is most often at the team level.
- Coordinate, supervise and accountable for the daily / weekly / monthly activities of a team of 15 to 20 Medical Collections Representatives
- Set priorities for the team to ensure task completion and performance goals for the team are achieved
- Coordinate work activities of team with other supervisors, managers, and departments
- Participate in the recruitment, training, and staffing functions for the department to ensure the timely hiring of qualified new employees, that all employees are properly trained in all aspects of their roles and that staffing levels are adequate to meet the business demand
- Provide regular coaching and feedback to team members, including formal corrective action when needed as well as completing annual performance reviews
- Identify and resolve operational problems using defined processes, expertise, and judgment
- Provide expertise and support for escalated calls and / or situations from both internal and external customers as needed
- Consistently provide practical / relevant recommendations for improvements to process or practices and participates in the implementation
- High School Diploma / GED or higher
- 2+ years of Customer Service, Billing or Collections experience
- Knowledge of Patient Revenue Cycle Applications and process flow from registration, charge entry, billing, collections, to reimbursement calculation and payment
- Experience with Excel (create, navigate, edit spreadsheets)
- 2+ years of experience in coaching and supporting employees through building trust and collaboration that results in improved business and employee performance
- Ability to travel up to 5% of the time (4 times per year)
- Associates Degree
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: Medical collections representative, customer service, collections representative, customer service representative, optum360