Receives, relays or acts upon oral, written or radio instructions from customer or customer service representative or other personnel indicating the switch movement, placement or delivery of railroad cars and/or a train.
- Conducts the movement of rail cars and train movements.
- Observes, interprets and relays arm, lantern or radio signals and all other indications affecting movement of a train.
- Operates track switches (visually checks switch condition and route) to change the direction of the engine or cars within yard limits or on the main track; may apply or release hand brakes to switch or perform other duties.
- Reads and understands the book of rules, timetables, bulletins, train orders, waybills, placards, safety instructions, and other written or printed material.
- Prepares required daily reports; switch lists - manually or with a computer.
- Inspects the condition of the train and equipment in movement and while stationary.
- May couple air and electrical connections between locomotives when making up trains
- Understanding oral communications.
- Recognizing sounds/changes in sounds
- Recognizing colors
- Understanding printed/written information
- Making oneself understood orally
- Judging speed and/or distance of moving objects/parts
- Understanding visual displays
- Taking actions and/or making decisions affecting security and well being of others
- Recalling information required from work activity
- Climbing and balancing
- Judging condition or status of objects/parts * Exercising physical strength and/or endurance
High School Diploma or GED Required, Associate's degree preferred.
2 years work experience/or equivalent training required, experience in a 24/7 work environment with exposure to outside weather conditions preferred.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Alvin, Texas, United States