Receives, relays or acts upon oral, written or radio instructions from customer or customer service representative or other personnel indicating the switch movement, placement or delivery of railroad cars and/or a train.
- Conducts the movement of rail cars and train movements.
- Observes, interprets and relays arm, lantern or radio signals and all other indications affecting movement of a train.
- Operates track switches (visually checks switch condition and route) to change the direction of the engine or cars within yard limits or on the main track; may apply or release hand brakes to switch or perform other duties.
- Reads and understands the book of rules, timetables, bulletins, train orders, waybills, placards, safety instructions, and other written or printed material.
- Prepares required daily reports; switch lists - manually or with a computer.
- Inspects the condition of the train and equipment in movement and while stationary.
- May couple air and electrical connections between locomotives when making up trains
- Understanding oral communications.
- Recognizing sounds/changes in sounds
- Recognizing colors
- Understanding printed/written information
- Making oneself understood orally
- Judging speed and/or distance of moving objects/parts
- Understanding visual displays
- Taking actions and/or making decisions affecting security and well being of others
- Recalling information required from work activity
- Climbing and balancing
- Judging condition or status of objects/parts * Exercising physical strength and/or endurance
High School Diploma or GED Required, Associate's degree preferred.
2 years work experience/or equivalent training required, experience in a 24/7 work environment with exposure to outside weather conditions preferred.
Lima, Ohio, United States